11 Favorite Dances from SYTYCD Season 11

The season finale of the eleventh season of So You Think You Can Dance was on Wednesday, which marked the end of my second favorite season of the show so far. This is also the first season where my favorite actually won the competition, so I'm super excited about that. Congrats, Ricky!

Anyway, I have never been more excited for a season of SYTYCD or liked a season more since season four, which was six years ago. So it's been a while. During every season I watch, (I've been consistently watching since season four) I have a few favorite dances from the respective season.

But since I was very excited for this season and was a fan of almost half of the top 20, I ended up favoring a lot of dances. Since this was season 11, below are my 11 favorite dances from this past season in chronological order. (It was rather difficult to pick only 11.)

I am by no means a dancer or a judge, so I may not have much insight. I just happen to like these dances for their choreography, the performance and the music. Majority of them included my favorite dancers from this season, which does make me like the dances more, but some of them are the dances that made me fans of them in the first place and really grabbed my attention.



Valerie and Zack - Sing (Tap)



I've never really watched tap before watching this dance except for the occasional tap solo done by Maddie Ziegler on Dance Moms, but I always understood the difficulty of tap. When I watched this, I was in awe because tap itself is hard, so tapping up and down stairs sounds ridiculously difficult. Valerie and Zack made it look so easy, and this dance was very entertaining. Plus, I love Ed Sheeran, so the song made it even better.



Carly and Rudy - Take It Easy (Contemporary)



It took me a bit longer after Carly and Rudy did this dance to actually get me to vote for them, but that thought definitely started after watching this dance. I remembered Rudy from auditions but didn't like him enough (yet) to vote for him. I don't think I remembered Carly from auditions or callbacks, but after this, I didn't want this pair to split up.


Jessica and Ricky - Vow (Contemporary)



This was from the first week of performances, which was also the week I became a fan of Jessica. I became a fan of Ricky the second I watched his audition, but I didn't instantly become a fan of hers. During callbacks, I remembered watching her, but she never really stuck out to me. Yes, I recognized her talent, but I wasn't never like, 'Wow. I really like her.' until this dance. After watching this, I didn't want Jessica and Ricky to get new partners because I liked how well they dance together.


Emily and Teddy - Ne Me Quitte Pas (Contemporary)



So, have you figured out that my favorite style is contemporary? Anyway, Emily and Teddy sparked my interest the first time they danced together in their hip-hop to Ed Sheeran's "Don't." After watching this contemporary, I definitely started to like them more. Despite the fact that Teddy is a hip-hop dancer, he was great in this piece (as was Emily of course, who was in her element). I think this was one of the best dances they did (if not the best). It was also nice to see a Tyce Diorio contemporary piece again because I felt like I hadn't seen one in a while. After this, I think I started voting for them.



Carly and Serge - Latch  (Contemporary)



Even though I'm not much of a Serge fan, I love everything about this dance, especially the song. I couldn't find a video of the dance with Sam Smith's audio, so the one I included uses a cover of Latch. Oh, and I don't think there's ever been a Sonya Tayeh dance I didn't like.



Tanisha and Rudy - Good Kisser (Hip-hop)



Rudy and Tanisha slayed this dance, especially Tanisha, and really surprised me. If Tanisha stood out to me more other than in this dance, I might have even voted for her. And as someone who's into fashion, I just wish her costume was as great as her dancing, but that's besides the point. Though Tanisha got a lot of praise for this dance, I think Rudy did great too. This was when I finally saw how quickly Rudy was progressing in the show.



Jessica and Casey - Like Real People Do (Contemporary)



I was so excited when I realized that Jessica and Casey were going to do a dance together, and the fact that they did a contemporary dance was even better. They have some of the best turns I have ever seen, and they were both amazing in this dance. So there's no reason for me to not love this dance because I love Casey, Jessica and Travis Wall. It's like perfection.


Top Seven Girls - My Immortal (Contemporary)



The group dances for the top 14 show were probably my favorites of the season, but this dance was definitely my favorite of the three. I found this dance to be very moving, empowering and just so beautiful. I think this was the week I realized how talented this season's contestants were, which the group dances showed.


Jacque and Chehon - Adagio (Contemporary Ballet)



I've never watched an actual ballet or anything, but I've wanted to for a few years now. Watching The CW's Breaking Pointe increased my interest in the dance genre, and since it ended, there's been a ballet void during my summers, which Jacque filled this past summer. When it was announced that Chehon was going to be Jacque's all-star partner, I was very excited because they're both ballet dancers. It was great to see some ballet on the show (even if it wasn't pure ballet because I do love contemporary), and Jacque did wonderful en pointe after not wearing her shoes for a few weeks. Chehon was excellent as well, of course.


Jessica and tWitch - U Got Me Up (Hip-hop)



To be honest, I was a little worried when I found out Jessica got hip-hop and was paired with tWitch because I wasn't sure how she'd do, and she's one of my favorites from the season, so I obviously wanted to see her succeed and not be overshadowed. But she definitely succeeded. This NappyTabs dance was just so fun and entertaining. Jessica did really well. I almost always have a favorite NappyTabs dance every season, and this was it for season 11.


Rudy and Allison - Dirty Diana (Contemporary)



I was nervous for Rudy to be paired with Allison because Allison is just such an amazing dancer, and I didn't want Rudy to be overshadowed either, like with Jessica and tWitch. But Rudy definitely proved himself in this dance and showed so much growth. It's a shame he got eliminated after performing this, but this dance was a great way to end his run on the show.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.