What I'm Listening to: Summer 2016



Summer is a great time for music, especially since there are so many concerts and music festivals. Some pretty great music has been released this summer, and I've been listening to that for the past three or so months. But now I'm back at school and summer's over, so I wanted to share the songs and artists I listened to all summer.

Check out my summer 2016 playlist at the end of this post.




Good Grief - Bastille

My sister's a big Bastille fan, so once they released their new single, it was pretty much on repeat. I got tired of listening to Bastille's older music (It's not bad or anything. I just wanted to listen to newer/other stuff.), so it's nice to hear some new music from them. 

I think it's a great song for summer because of its upbeat tempo. But at the same time, it's not just an energetic song that you can dance to. The lyrics aren't about partying or summer or anything general like that (not that those are bad), so it's a nice balance of a fun, upbeat summer song with meaningful lyrics.


Castle - Halsey

I first heard this song from all those Huntsman: The Winter's War commercials, but it didn't fully grow on me until it was used in a Dance Moms group dance. That dance was probably my favorite group dance from the latest season of the reality TV show, so I ended up really liking the song.


Shawn Mendes

More specifically, I've been listening to the songs "Treat You Better" and "Three Empty Words" this summer. I discovered "Treat You Better" earlier in the summer around May after hearing it on the radio. It's a fun summer love song that you can easily sing along to in the car. The music video is also great and addresses a serious issue, raising awareness for domestic violence. That issue isn't exactly what I thought of the first time I heard it, but it's good that these popular songs can raise awareness for things like that.

"Three Empty Words" is newer as the music video was just released last week, which is how I came upon the song. It's a slower acoustic song, so it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from "Treat You Better," but I appreciate a nice acoustic song. (Mendes can do both well.) I like to listen to it when I just want to relax. It's got a nice, soothing sound. 


Cheap Thrills - Sia

Like most Sia songs nowadays, I first hear them when Maddie Ziegler is in the music video/performance. This is true for Cheap Thrills. Once again, another upbeat and energetic song, which makes it great for summer.


Suicide Squad soundtrack

I saw two superhero movies near the beginning of the summer, so I 've seen the Suicide Squad trailer a few times. I remember hearing "You Don't Own Me" by Grace and G-Eazy in the trailer and later heard it on the radio. I really enjoyed the unique sound and thought it went really well with the concept of the movie itself. It's dark but not entirely so. I enjoy the combination of rap with the mellow vocals and how the music itself has different levels.

A few weeks after seeing the trailer for the movie, "Heathens" by twenty one pilots was released, and I don't think there's a song by the duo I dislike. I'm not too excited for the movie and don't feel the need to see it right now, but from what I've heard of the soundtrack, it has a good movie score.


Like I Did EP - Shane Harper

Before this summer, the only Shane Harper music I really listened to was his song "Hold You Up" from God's Not Dead and whenever he sang on Good Luck Charlie. I liked those, so I gave his latest EP a shot. I instantly loved it. There's a nice mix of acoustic and mellow sounds and more energetic and upbeat ones. He's got a great voice, and I hope he makes more music!

I wish I had the chance to go to his concert in Chicago but didn't know he'd be here until the day of.

I tweeted that I'd be listening to it all summer long (which has held true), and he quote tweeted it. Then he followed me back. So that's cool.


On Purpose - Sabrina Carpenter

In between my last "What I'm Listening to" post and now, the Girl Meets World star has released two new singles, both of which are more mature than her earlier songs. After all, it has been a while since her first album, and she's definitely grown up since then.

Her latest single is "On Purpose." I don't like it as much as her other single from this year ("Smoke and Fire") but there's something about it that makes me want to keep listening to it. It's not as catchy as some of her other songs that I listen to. Maybe it's just the presence of maturity. It also could be the transition from slow and acoustic sounds to begin to a more uptempo beat later on in the song. Regardless, as I continued to listen to it, I ended up liking it more than I though I would!


Too Little, Too Late - JoJo

Depending on how old you are and what music you listened to in the mid 2000s, you may remember JoJo. Honestly, I don't remember how I discovered her and her music, but I really like a few of her songs when I was younger. She's been out of the music scene for a little while but seems to be making a comeback.

Last week she released a new single, but I wasn't a big fan of it. I just wasn't feeling it. So instead, I just listened to two of her old songs that I love, "Too Little, Too Late" and "Leave (Get Out)". The latter isn't on Spotfiy, which I find rather upsetting, so I just listen to the former. She's got a R&B sound with strong vocals. Those two songs are just really catchy to me and have a solid message. Plus, I like listening to a good throwback every now and then.






What songs have you listened to this past summer? Tell me what concerts/music festivals you've been to this summer in the comments!

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.