Gymnastics: More than Just a Sport

Since today is National Gymnastics Day, I was inspired to write about what gymnastics, my favorite sport, means to me.


Celebrating National Gymnastics Day 2014 by doing the little gymnastics I know how to do

I am not a gymnast, and I never have been, but I've always had an interest in the sport.

When I was younger, I wanted to try a lot of different sports, particularly gymnastics, tumbling, cheerleading and dance. Because of my parents' work schedules, I never got the chance to try those sports, but I never did lose interest in any of them. I definitely didn't lose interest in gymnastics.



The first Olympic Games I remember watching was the 2008 Olympics. I vaguely remember watching Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin become America's sweethearts. After those Games, if I saw gymnastics on TV, I would watch it or record it.

One of the first competitions I remember watching after Beijing was nearly three years later, the 2011 Visa Championships. I honestly don't remember a lot of that competition and didn't really know who any of the gymnasts were other than Johnson, but one moment stuck out to me very vividly, as it did to other gym fans, Rebecca Bross' injury.

I remember watching her vault and how her legs were locked when she landed, and it was just awful. I never want to watch anything like that happen ever again. Bross immediately showed the pain on her face, and everyone watching knew how devastating this was.

About one year later at the 2012 Secret U.S. Classic, I watched Bross return to competition. This was also the competition that sparked my love for gymnastics. I was super excited to watch Nastia compete again for the first time in years. I was ecstatic when she hit her beam routine.

From there on, my excitement for the next competition grew because why wouldn't a gym fan be excited for the Olympics?

2012 was the year I fell in love with gymnastics. That was when it officially became my favorite sport. My love for it has only grown since then.

Most people probably say gymnastics means a lot to them because of what it's taught them through competing and practicing, but I never had that experience. I was never a gymnast. I didn't learn the value of hard work or perseverance by doing gymnastics, but it did teach me more about life and gave me more than I ever dreamed of.

Watching Aly Raisman and Kyla Ross taught me more about hard work and what it can do for you. Nastia Liukin and Jordyn Wieber taught me about persevering and never giving up. McKayla Maroney and Aliya Mustafina taught me to always get back up. Sure, these are things I learned even before watching gymnastics, but the value of those things were reinforced when I became obsessed with gymnastics.

Gymnastics has also given me opportunities I never dreamed of. Because of my love for the sport, I got to interview my favorite gymnast and role model Sarah Finnegan, who has inspired me in so many ways; I have had internships with popular gymnastics media outlets; and I even got to attend the 2014 Secret U.S. Classic as media, allowing me to get a taste of my dream job.

Without gymnastics, I wouldn't be who I am today, even if I never was a gymnast. I might not know what I want to do with my life without it. I am so grateful for the sport of gymnastics, but it is much more than a sport. It is a teacher, an opportunity-giver and something that I will never forget.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.