Adventuring Through the History of Gymnastics

At the end of May, I was asked to blog for Gymnastike over the summer to help create more blogs and articles to be feature on their site. I was flattered (and still am), so I gladly accepted.

My first post will focus on some historic events and highlights in the sport of gymnastics that occurred in the month of June. To be honest, I do not have extensive knowledge on the sport and its history as I only became a huge fan and closely followed the sport in 2012. Because of this, I have a lot of research to do.



I've written plenty of articles, blog posts, and features before, but I have never needed to do so much research. Although my first post for Gymnastike requires lots of research, which can be frustrating at times, I am enjoying it. Because of it, I am learning lots of things that I didn't know before.

All of this research also makes me feel like a real journalist and not just some student who's studying journalism. The only things I have written that required this much research were research papers in I wrote in high school. Now I'm researching to find a story and to learn about what happened, not to argue something academic, and I have to say, it's much more interesting and entertaining this way.

As I continue to research, I hope to learn more about gymnastics than I ever imagined because if I want to write about gymnastics in the future for a living, I better know the sport in and out.

Check out Gymnastike for some interesting blogs, features, and articles, including mine on former Illini Liz McNabb, her elite career, and her friendship with Olympian Samantha Peszek.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.