Summer 2015: What I Want to Read

Summer is my favorite season for many reasons. I enjoy the weather and not having class. And since I don't have class, I have so much free time over the summer, time to hang out with my friends, time to watch lots of movies, and time to read whatever books I want! And I there are a lot of books I want to read -- so many that I can hardly keep track of them. (Thanks for the help, Goodreads!)

My reading goal for 2015 is to read 15 books, and the easiest way to accomplish that is to read as much as I can when I have the most free time, summer. So here are the books I'd like to read (or finish reading) this summer.

(I came up with the idea for this post from someone who pins to a board I follow on Pinterest, so thanks and credit for this idea to her!)

Halfway Perfect by Julie Cross and Mark Perini

Image via Goodreads

I actually started reading this a little while ago. I don't remember when exactly. Because I'm part of Julie Cross's street team, I got an ARC of this for Kindle, which is how I'm currently reading it. (I do plan on actually buying the book though, because I prefer holding and reading the actual book opposed to holding my phone or laptop and reading it from there.)
Julie is one of my favorite authors, and I've read several of her books before, including her Letters to Nowhere series (I'm a gymnastics fan, so duh.) and Whatever Life Throws At You (which I bought when I met her!). I love fashion, so when I heard about this book, I was excited to read it.



If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski

Image via Goodreads
For some reason, I just added this to my "to-read" shelf on Goodreads yesterday despite the fact that I've wanted to read it since I learned about it.
My sister read this in one day -- which is a rare occurrence because she doesn't read for pleasure too often -- and she loves it. She says I'm going to want to rethink about my life and that it's going to make me "feel way too much." And I'm sure it will. I've only heard great things about this book, and To Write Love on Her Arms is a wonderful organization, so I look forward to reading it.
(I'm also looking forward to watching the movie and going to the Chicago book signing!)

It's Not About Perfect by Shannon Miller

Image via Goodreads

I'll pretty much read any book about gymnastics (except children's books and coaching manuals or something), so when I found out that the most decorated American female artistic gymnast wrote a book, I knew I wanted to read it.
Shannon Miller is not only inspiring because of her success in gymnastics, but for her strength in her fight against cancer. This book discusses both, and I'm sure Miller will continue to inspire me as a result.


Paper Towns by John Green

Image via Goodreads

I'd heard of John Green before The Fault in Our Stars was a movie, probably at least a year before, and I'd wanted to read his books, but I just never got around to it until TFIOS was going to be a movie, so then I had to read the book. If I know a movie is adapted from a book, and I want to see the movie, I always try to read the book first, because I like reading and know that the book is usually better. Though, I usually like both the book and movie; I just like the book better, of course.
When I first read the little summary for Paper Towns on Goodreads, I wasn't sure it was a book I'd be too interested in. But after I saw the trailer for the movie, I became more interested in reading it. Since Paper Towns (the movie) is coming out at the end of July, I need to read it before then. 


Leave Your Mark by Aliza Licht

Image via Goodreads

I'm a journalism major, am seeking a PR certificate, and am pretty big on social media. I've also followed Licht on Twitter as DKNY's PR girl for a few years now. So when I first discovered this book, I thought it would definitely be a good idea to read it since it's probably going to be helpful to me, as well as very educational. I've heard a lot of good things about it so far, and I look forward to learning lessons from someone in the media/communications industry, especially since I once considered working in the media/communications part of the fashion world. (Actually, I wouldn't rule that out now either.)


Life in Motion by Misty Copeland

Image via Goodreads

I've been a fan of Misty Copeland since I first heard of her. I've been getting more and more into ballet since the CW had the show Breaking Pointe (now canceled), and I do admit that I haven't even seen Copeland dance much, since the most I've seen of her is from guest judging So You Think You Can Dance. But it's not just her dancing that makes me a fan of her, but her story and determination as well. That all shines through in her book (which I have since finished since writing this blog post).




Which books do you want to read this summer? And if you have any recommendations on books to read based on this list, let me know!


No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.