What I'm Listening to: Fall 2016



This fall has been a pretty exciting time for music ― at least for me. Over 50 new songs have been added to my Spotify in the past two months, which is a lot for me. So this is the biggest music blog yet, complete with a playlist at the end!

The 1975

Although I hadn't listened to many of their songs before this school year, when my sister and I found out The 1975 was going to have a concert on the University of Illinois campus on October 28, we immediately wanted to go and bought tickets ASAP. And once we bought tickets, I instantly started listening to a bunch of their songs to get ready for the concert, even though it was nearly two months away at the time.



I got lucky and found this playlist that is apparently their setlist from this year, so I've been listening to that. I'm not sure how accurate the playlist is, but it contains a good variety of their songs. So I'm not worried about being clueless as to what songs will be played at the concert. After all, this will be my first concert, and I don't want to go to any concert where I don't know the words to most of the songs playing.


Bastille - Wild World

I feel like I've been listening to old Bastille songs forever, so getting new Bastille music to listen to is refreshing. This album sounds a bit different from their old songs, but I enjoy the change. Some of my favorites from their newest album Wild World are Good Grief, Warmth, Fake It and Glory.



Sabrina Carpenter - EVOLution

Disney Channel star Sabrina Carpenter's new album is the newest addition to my Spotify, so I haven't had a lot of time to listen to it, but it's alright so far. Some of the songs aren't quite my taste, but they might grow on me, since that's happened with her music in the past. So we'll wait and see.

I did, however, immediately like a few songs, including On Purpose, Run and Hide, All We Need Is Love, and Shadows.



(The playlist for the following songs can be found at the end of this post.)

No Room - Kolby Koloff

When I found out Kolby was releasing a new song about two months ago, I was super excited because she hasn't released very many songs, but I love them all. No Room is no different.


Brand New - Ben Rector

I discovered Brand New over the summer and enjoyed it when I first heard it, but I never took note of it to buy it or download since I was in the car busy driving. I suddenly remembered it while scrolling through my phone, so I added it to my Spotify. 

Brand New is a great feel-good song and definitely uplifts me no matter what mood I'm in.

When You Love Someone - James TW

Thank you, Shawn Mendes, for putting this song in your Spotify playlist, because it is a beautiful song. This is definitely one of those storytelling songs that can stir up emotions and make you think. 

It's a nice, mellow ballad that's great for times when you just want to chill and be mellow. I love how this song makes you think about how love (and everything else worth having) is not easy.

Shawn Mendes

He just keeps popping up on my Facebook timeline, so I keep ending up listening to whatever music I find on my social media timelines. Don't Be A Fool and Mercy are two more of those more acoustic and mellow songs of Shawn's that I enjoy.


Closer - The Chainsmokers

This is a super popular song, but I actually hadn't heard it too much to begin with. I don't even think I heard it over the summer, and then it exploded in popularity when I got to school. Suddenly everyone seemed to be listening to it and was playing it all the time. Then I heard it once, and it got stuck in my head. So I kept listening to it over and over again.

It's not the best song, and I'm not entirely sure why it's so popular, but it is really catchy and gets stuck in your head. If you're into partying, it's good for that.


The Greatest - Sia

I feel like Sia never has bad songs or bad music videos. The Greatest is a catchy and motivating song, and of course it has a cool music video featuring Maddie Ziegler and a bunch of other awesome dancers. (So check it out if you haven't already.)


10,000 Reasons (Bless the Lord) - Passion, Matt Redman

Explicitly Christian music isn't usually my thing, but the choir at the church I go to on campus was singing this as the exit hymn, and it sounded super familiar. Plus, I enjoyed it and how soothing and spiritual it seemed.

It turns out I listened to the song (with a different artist) on Pandora a little while ago before I got Spotify. So I looked it up on Spotify and couldn't find the track with the artist I originally heard it from, but this version by Passion and Matt Redman is a nice cover.

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) - Hillsong United

This is another song I originally found on Pandora. I thought this was a song my campus church sang before but wasn't sure, so I listened to it again, and I wasn't sure. Regardless, I liked what I was listening to, so I added it to my music.

What's funny is that this song was sung in church a few hours before I wrote this blog post, so I guess it is a song I heard in church.


What music have you discovered this fall?


No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.