What I Want to Read: Summer 2017



One of the best things about summer is that I have time to read books for fun. One of my favorite things about graduating from college and being done with school is that I have so much time to read whatever I want.

It's only been a few weeks since I graduated, but I've been taking full advantage of my free time by reading as much as I can. I actually meant to publish this post before I finished any of the books on here, but I enjoyed reading too much to take a break and do this blog post.

Here are the books I've read or plan to read during my first summer as a college graduate (and hopefully, but also sadly, what will probably be my last "summer" ever):

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Image via Goodreads
I've wanted to read Perks since high school, but I never got around to it then. I always try to read the book before watching the movie, but in this case, it couldn't wait. But I'm actually totally okay with that because I love the movie and really like the book. I don't know if I'd say the book is better than the movie because I personally enjoyed the movie more, but Perks is definitely a good read.

If you've seen the movie, I'd say the book goes more in depth with the issues in Charlie's life and his mental health in general, along with the culture that was present in the 90s. Charlie is portrayed the same way in the book and the movie, but because the movie dealt with Charlie's mental health and the issues in his life more generally, it was easier for me to relate to (and therefore enjoy) the movie over the book.

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Image via Goodreads
I actually first heard of this book/series in a monthly favorites video from Dance Moms star Chloe Lukasiak, who loves to read. Chloe seems to have good taste in everything from clothes to dance to pop culture, so I looked the book up after I watched her video. The dystopian story seemed a bit different and unique than others I've read, and Chloe said she loved it, so I added it to my Goodreads. 

I finished reading the first book two weeks ago and thought it was just good, nothing special, until the last few chapters when the plot twist came -- which I suspected something concerning a certain character would happen because there were clues about it everywhere. If you're into dystopian-like stories, I would definitely check this out because it does have something different to it that makes it stand out. I don't think it's necessarily the royalty/monarchy aspect of the society either.


The Selection series by Kiera Cass

Image via Goodreads
I've known about this book series for a while, and it sounded intriguing, but the fact that it was only $6 at Target was what sold me to get it right then and there. The series is sort of like something I'd typically read in that it's young adult, involves romance, and is set in a post-modern/new society setting but isn't dystopian. But then again, I'm surprised I liked it because it's sort of like The Bachelor in a royal setting, and I don't care for The Bachelor at all. Although, it has more depth and is likely less superficially dramatic than The Bachelor.

This is another book I've finished as I type this post, and while it didn't have the shock factor or action Red Queen did, I enjoyed it as it presented royalty in a different way and provided other aspects of it that Red Queen didn't. (I read this right after Red Queen.)

Today Means Amen by Sierra DeMulder

Image via Goodreads
Poetry isn't something I read often, but I've learned to appreciate it more. I heard of Sierra DeMulder and Today Means Amen from the non-profit mental health organization To Write Love on Her Arms. Since it's a book of poems, it didn't take me very long to finish it. DeMulder did a great job of pulling from her personal experiences and conveying emotions, but I didn't like it as much as other poetry I've read. Though, that's probably because some of the poems can get quite specific in subject matter, some of which I simply can't relate to. It's a powerful read nonetheless, and poetry is underrated.

Reasons to Stay Alive by Matt Haig

Image via Goodreads
This is another book I know about because of TWLOHA, and honestly, I'll read any book they sell. TWLOHA knows what's up and does a great job in finding books to encourage love, honesty, and openness, as well as raising mental health awareness.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

Image via Goodreads
I don't know when/where I first heard of Milk and Honey, but I have heard only good things about it. It's another poetry book, and from what I've read and seen, it looks like a book that's full of strong messages and emotion.

Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters by Joan Ryan

Image via Goodreads

I actually got this book last summer but never got around to reading it. Considering all of the news concerning USA Gymnastics (if you don't know what I'm talking about, if you search USA Gymnastics in Google News, you'll figure it out), now seems like an appropriate time to read it. I've known about this book for a while, and you know I'll read basically any book about gymnastics. Plus, since I'm a relatively new gym fan, this book will help me learn about the sport's past.

Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst


Sometime last year, I discovered the store Altar'd State, which has a ton of cute clothes, accessories, home decor, and interesting books. Altar'd State is a Christian retail store that gives to charities and other organizations from sales. A lot of their books are motivational and address Christianity, as this one does. Honestly, I'd probably read any book they sell, because from the books I've looked at there, I want to read every single one.

Even before I knew the book addressed religion, when I saw the cover and read the title, I wanted to read it because there have been so many times I've felt left out, less than, or lonely. I've heard good things about this book from a few people I follow on social media, so I look forward to reading this when I need a pick-me-up.

Grace Not Perfection by Emily Ley



I'm going to be real here: I first saw this book at a store called Swoozie's in Dallas and thought it had a really pretty cover, so I picked it up and looked through it. If it weren't for the shiny gold foil catching my eye at the counter, I'd probably never find this book. 

It's an inspirational/self-help/Christian book that helps the reader focus on being better as a person and live simply as opposed to stressing out over trying to do it all and be perfect. I am a perfectionist, so I thought this would be a good read. I started reading a little bit of it the day I got it because I was just in Dallas for the day and wanted something to read, and it's alright so far. Sometimes it's easy for me to relate to Ley because I've been swarmed with work before. But sometimes it's not, because I'm not a mother of young children like Ley. So we'll see how that goes.


This list is much longer than my previous ones have been, so I'm not sure I'll get to all of these by the end of August. Then again, I don't have school anymore and don't have a job right now, so I have plenty of time to read for now. What books do you want to read this summer?

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.