February 4: A Day of Many Things

This morning, I learned that today, February 4, is World Cancer Day and National Girls and Women in Sports Day. But to me, today is something different. Today has a different meaning for me than many other people around the world and across the country. But somehow, they all connect.

One year ago today, I met one of my favorite gymnasts ever, 2008 Olympian Shawn Johnson. She was at the University of Illinois for a book signing and lecture, all relating to her book, Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far About Love, Life, and Living Your Dreams. Her book is definitely my favorite book out of all the books I've ever read, so to not only read about Shawn's experiences in her own words, but to hear Shawn discuss her experiences in person with her lively personality and voice, was such an amazing memory that I'll cherish forever.

A few days before I met Shawn, she was actually already on campus to commentate for the Big Ten Network at the Illinois women's gymnastics meet against Iowa. That meet was a pink meet, a meet in which the gymnasts wear pink leotards and raise breast cancer awareness.

When I thought back to the meet she was at, I realized that these three events of February 4 connect. They do for me, at least.



February 4 may be the day I met Shawn Johnson, but it is also World Cancer Day and National Girls and Women in Sports Day.

Although it wasn't February 4 when Shawn was at the Illinois women's gymnastics team's annual pink meet, it was still around the same time, the weekend before, which connects my experience of meeting Shawn to World Cancer Day and National Girls and Women in Sports Day. Those few days bring everything together.

Shawn is one of the best gymnasts to exist, and she's all for empowering girls and women in sports. Gymnastics is a sport that's generally more popular to women and girls than it is to men and boys, so I would say it's a big part of National Girls and Women in Sports Day, especially since female gymnasts sometimes feel pressure because of their sport and body image. Gymnastics is most definitely a sport where body image comes up a lot, so knowing that I heard all about Shawn's experiences with that and more on this day, makes it special.

As I mentioned before, the Illinois women's gymnastics team has an annual pink meet, and this year's was actually also this past Saturday. Breast cancer unfortunately has a personal connection to many people, even some of the Illini women's gymnasts. I've recently learned more about how breast cancer has affected two of the gymnasts, and I admire them, and the women they love who have fought the disease, for their strength.

With all of these events connecting, it's made me think of how a single day is so many things. For me, it's the day I met Shawn Johnson, the best day of my life. For others, it might be a more reflective day, about bringing awareness to all types of cancer and remembering and honoring those who have fought and are still fighting the disease. To someone else, it could be about empowering women and girls in sport, encouraging girls to participate in athletics and all it has to offer, because sports are most definitely not just for boys.

From now on, I won't simply remember February 4 as the anniversary of the best day of my life, as the day when I met Shawn Johnson. I will remember it as a day of many things: a day of joy, reflection, and empowerment. After all, not everyone has experienced something great and really memorable on this day like I did. Earlier today, I didn't even think of how some people might hate this day or cry on this day because of past memories and what they associate with February 4.

So when February 4 comes around every year, I'll think of when I met Shawn, I'll think of those who have a close and personal connection to World Cancer Day; I'll think of how some people don't have their loved ones because of the disease. I'll think of those who cherish National Girls and Women in Sports Day, because not every female has had the best experience with sports; I'll think of how great it is that there has been such an advancement in women's sports.

And I will be thankful for this day and all that it has taught me, No matter what February 4 means to you, whether it was a good day or bad, be thankful for it, because every day is a blessing, makes you who you are today, and means something significant to someone somewhere.


"You have to remember that the hard days are what make you stronger. The bad days make you realize what a good day is. If you never had any bad days, you would never have that sense of accomplishment!"
- Aly Raisman, 2012 Olympian





No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.