One Year Post-Grad Reflections of a Patient Alumna


So it's officially been a year (and a few days) since I've graduated from college, and it's still hard to believe it's already been that long. A lot's happened in the last 12 months.

I met my favorite gymnast, Nastia Liukin. I went to New York for the first time. I saw my first show on Broadway. I watched a lot of TV shows and movies for the first time. I saw the yearbook that I helped make and lead the creation of come to life and held it in my hands, experiencing the most rewarding feeling. I reunited with my best friend since sixth grade for the first time in four years. I traveled to San Francisco and met relatives I've never met before. I met Chloe Lukasiak from Dance Moms. I went to a club gymnastics meet for the first time. I saw Leslie Odom, Jr. sing live. I went to my first job interview. I got my first job offer. I declined my first job offer.

Like I said, a lot's happened in a year. But notice the absence of "I started my first adult job." That's definitely not what I expected or planned.



As lots of people I knew graduated this past weekend, I couldn't help but sulk a bit because of how I've been done with school for a whole year and am pretty much in the same place as I was then. I know people who are off to their dream jobs, getting married, going to grad school, starting the next chapters of their lives. And I can't help but be at least a little jealous, especially when I know I am totally capable of being where they are.

I wish I had something happening in my life. I wish I knew what I was doing, where I was going. But I don't.

I have a degree. I have valuable skills and knowledge. I have experience. I have connections. So why am I still unemployed. That was the point of all of this, no?

Somehow, somewhere along the way, I've accepted that it's just not my time yet. Deep down, I worry about my lack of a job and the future, but I know I won't be stuck here searching forever.

If there's anything this past year has taught me, it's patience.

Because of medical reasons, I waited four months to even start applying for jobs. I waited three whole months to reunite with my best friend, for my sister to come home from New York so I wouldn't be alone at home by myself every day. I waited eight months to do my first in-person job interview. I waited a month to get my first job offer.

I'm a firm believer in knowing that God has a plan for each of us and/or that everything happens for a reason. And while I can stress myself out over still being unemployed a year after graduation despite looking through hundreds of thousands of job listings and applying for nearly 70 different jobs/internships, that does me no good. It won't really get me a job any sooner. A negative outlook has never gotten me what I wanted. So I've tried to enjoy the free time I do have (who knows when I'll have this much free time ever again?) and make good use of it. 

I've been freelance writing for nearly a year, continuing to use my reporting, writing, and editing skills, honing my craft. I've continued to produce content on this blog, allowing me to keep writing and make a brand for myself. I even started a new blog with my sister and best friend just for fun.

So while I'm of course upset I'm not where I wanted to be at this point in my life, I've chosen not to be angry about it or stress too much over it, because I've put in work. I've made use of my free time. I know good things take time. Success won't come in an instant. I know something out there is waiting for me.

And I'm willing to wait for it.


(Shoutout to anyone who got that Hamilton reference at the end there.)

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.