What I'm Listening to: November 2015


After listening to the same 10 or so songs for about two months, I finally downloaded new music and added it to my iTunes! So here are the songs and artists that have been on repeat this month.


Sabrina Carpenter

Unless you watch Disney Channel, you've probably never heard of Sabrina Carpenter. Even though I'm 20, I do still watch the channel adorned with Mickey Mouse ears on occasion. Usually, it's to watch Carpenter's show Girl Meets World, a spin-off of the '90s TV show Boy Meets World, so I'm definitely not the only 20-something-year-old watching. That's where I heard a few of her singles, particularly "We'll Be the Stars." On one of the many days I was watching GMW this month, I randomly thought of her music and decided to give her album a listen, since I remembering liking what I heard during those music video clips Disney airs during commercial breaks.




A lot of the actors and actresses on Disney sing nowadays, so it's not too original or always that great, especially when people like me grew up with a Disney Channel where not everyone could or did sing, but I think Carpenter actually is a fantastic singer and deserves it. Even though she's only 16, she sings with maturity, and I think that comes through when she sings, even during pretty upbeat songs with a ukulele playing in the background. Her other songs I enjoy include "Eyes Wide Open," "Seamless," "Can't Blame a Girl For Trying," and "The Middle of Starting Over." Perhaps my favorite, though, is her cover of Hozier's "Like Real People Do." It gives me chills!




Blame It On Me - George Ezra

Last month, the only song I knew from George Ezra was "Budapest." When my sister and I watched the Lollapalooza live stream and he was on before twenty one pilots, we just wanted him to sing "Budapest" already so it could move on to twenty one pilots. I should have appreciated the other songs he sang during his short set, because I ended up loving one of them months later. That song is "Blame It On Me." After Lollapalooza, I heard it again on a Saturday morning while trying to make breakfast. It was one of those songs I knew I had to get once I started listening to it.




Let It Go - James Bay

I also heard "Let It Go" on the same Saturday morning I rediscovered "Blame It On Me." It sounded really familiar (probably because I've heard another one of his songs before without knowing it), and I loved everything about it as I listened to it. It's a really soulful song, and I enjoy its quick takeaway. Sometimes in life, you just need to "let it go, just let it be."




The Maine

The Maine was a regular on my iPod from around seventh to ninth grade, so even though I don't listen to their new stuff, I love all of their old songs I listened to when I was in middle school. They were one of those bands I discovered on MySpace, which is where I found a lot of awesome music.

One random day this month, I randomly said "Can't stop. Won't stop," like the lyrics from one of their songs, after hearing something on TV, so then I wanted to listen to The Maine's "I Must Be Dreaming." Then YouTube autoplay kept the songs coming, and they were basically all of the old songs of theirs that I listened to in middle school. I still knew all the lyrics and I nodded my head and sang along, so I just had to re-download them. In addition to "I Must Be Dreaming," my favorites are "Into Your Arms" and "Whoever She Is."






I don't know if you can tell from these music posts, but I don't listen to a lot of the music that plays on the radio, so when I was watching the AMAs yesterday, I didn't really know any of the songs they were playing. What's your music taste like? Do you listen to a lot of mainstream music that gets featured on award shows like the AMAs, or do you usually stay away from that music?

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.