What I Want to Read: Winter 2015-2016

As usual, school didn't allow me to read all of the books I wanted to read for fun, but that's okay! I enjoyed the two books I read for school that I actually did want to read. It's finally the holiday season, and the first snowfall has occurred, so I think it's safe to say that it's winter (even if the calendar doesn't say so yet).

Winter break is just around the corner for me, which means I'll finally have a whole month to read what I want! Here are the books I hope to sit back inside and read while the bitter cold probably rages outside.


Finding My Shine by Nastia Liukin

Image via Amazon
Nastia is my favorite gymnast, so when I found out that she was releasing a memoir, I naturally freaked out. I mean, Nastia and reading combines two of my favorite things! Naturally, I pre-ordered the book on Amazon seconds after she tweeted about it. Since she is an Olympic gymnast and that's her claim to fame, I'm obviously looking forward to reading a bit about that, but I think Nastia's case is a bit different. Finding My Shine is more about how she finds herself after her gymnastics career is over, which actually might even interest me more than reading about how she got to the Olympics since I didn't really start following her until the end of her career. Now she's involved with a lot of other things besides gymnastics that I see on her social media a lot, and I'd like to know more about. Plus, she's one of my inspirations, so I hope to get more of that from this book as well.



Finding Our Balance (2016, #1) by Lauren Hopkins


When I discover a young adult novel about gymnastics -- sometimes even middle grade novels -- I get this instant need to read it. That's how much I love the sport. Plus, I love reading. Lauren Hopkins is someone I'm familiar with from the gymnastics fandom and as a fellow gymnastics writer/reporter. I knew she was releasing a book series focused on Olympic gymnastics hopefuls for a little while, which I'd always been excited for. But now that it's the end of the year and the Olympics are just months away, it just seems so much more exciting now! I'm curious to read the story and see how it is written, especially since I just took my first creative writing class this semester and considered writing a gymnastics story for the class. If you want to hype up your excitement for the Olympics, I think this book -- even though I haven't read it yet -- will do the trick!



Allegiant

Image via Goodreads

When I saw the hardcover edition of this at Target on Thanksgiving/early Black Friday for only $10, I had to buy it. I usually buy my books on Amazon because they're cheaper and I have a Prime account, but I couldn't pass that up. (I also needed to stop using my card so much.) I actually saw the movie trailer for this earlier that day while watching Mockingjay Part 2 and covered my eyes the whole time and tried not to listen to it because I haven't read the book yet. I didn't want to ruin any of it for myself! So I'm hoping to read this over break and finish the series before watching the movie this spring.



Winter break is almost here! So what are you hoping to read with the time away from class?



No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.