Love and Thanks for McKayla Maroney

Photo credit unknown, via Google Images
I'd thought it for a while now, maybe even a year. And so did others. But we never really knew for sure.

Today, we got confirmation.



McKayla Maroney is done competing gymnastics ― but she's not retired. She doesn't like using that term.

Like many gymnasts who were Olympic contenders in 2012, McKayla is one of the first gymnasts I became a fan of. I have no idea when I found out who she was or became her fan. All I know is that she's an amazing person, on and off the competition floor, in and out of the gym.

She has two Olympic medals (silver on vault and gold for team) and three World medals (two golds on vault and one gold for team). She went viral after being "not impressed" at the 2012 Games. She's an amazingly talented gymnast and did arguably the most perfect vault ever.

But that's not why I love her.

It certainly contributes, but it's not the sole reason. Her great gymnastics is just a plus.

She's funny, kind, inspiring, beautiful, and caring. If you need proof, just go to her Twitter. Watch interviews of her on YouTube. Watch her own videos on YouTube. Look up her friendship with fellow Fierce Five gymnast Kyla Ross.

The possibilities are endless.


I've experienced a few of these characteristics firsthand. McKayla often tweets, direct messages, and follows fans on Twitter, and it brightens their day. I know it did for me.




With nearly 500 thousand followers on Twitter, it's not easy for her to tweet, DM, or follow fans, but she finds time and always tells her fans she loves them. She even says she loves people who don't like her. What McKayla does for her fans is unlike anything I've ever seen from a professional athlete.


In addition to making me smile when she reaches out to fans, she never fails to make me laugh. I can't remember the last time I watched a video of her talking and didn't laugh. e.e Cummings said, "The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." And when I watch McKayla, my day is never a waste. She's hilarious. And I love to laugh. So if you can make me laugh a lot, you get bonus points in my book.

But perhaps what I've grown to love most about McKayla is her honesty and openness.

One day last year, I was watching one of her YouTube videos where she was just talking. (I think it was this one, but I'm not entirely sure and don't have time to listen to it all right now.) One part stuck out to me a lot. She talked about her adrenal fatigue and how she wasn't feeling healthy mentally. She talked about how she was telling her friend about feeling depressed and her friend's mom said that wasn't something she should talk about. McKayla disagreed and saw nothing wrong with being open and honest about mental health.

And I agree wholeheartedly. She talked even more about it in the interview announcing the end of her competitive career released today.

I understand why there's a stigma surrounding discussing mental health. But McKayla understands why there shouldn't be. I admire her for that. I thank her for that. And I love her for that.

She just wants to spread love and positivity. (Her Twitter bio even says so.) Being open and honest just helps with that.

My photo of McKayla competing on floor at the 2013 Secret U.S. Classic

Even though I won't get to see McKayla compete in fierce and gorgeous leotards anymore, it's okay. That's not the main reason I'm a fan of her anymore. Yes, I'll miss it. But I appreciate what's she doing now even more.

It's not easy to quit something you've been doing for basically your entire life. It's not easy to move on. It's not always easy to do what's best for yourself. It's not easy to be open and honest. It's not always easy to be yourself. But McKayla did (and does) all of that.


So thank you McKayla, for everything you've done in and out of gymnastics. I send you so much love as you embark on the next chapter of your life. I'm so glad to have seen you compete in person, and I hope to meet you one day because you are amazing.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.