What I'm Listening To: Summer 2019


It's been nearly two years since I've done one of these posts. I stopped doing them because I just ended up putting 99% of the music I'd been listening to in my monthly favorites posts, so doing one of these would seem repetitive. But this summer there have been quite a few songs that I've been listening to a lot that haven't been featured in any of my monthly favorites posts, so I thought now would be a good time to do another music post.

My playlist for this summer is probably the most diverse my go-to playlist has ever been, including music from three different movie soundtracks, covers, Broadway show tunes, and pop music. So I've definitely been influenced by the movies and entertainment news from this summer. I've embedded some of the music from YouTube below since some of these songs aren't on Spotify or any streaming services, but my full playlist can be found at the end of this post.

Rocketman (Music From the Motion Picture)

I've basically been listening to the Rocketman soundtrack on repeat since it was released last May, because Taron Egerton's voice is the most beautiful sound I have ever heard, and I cannot get enough of it. Like honestly, I didn't really listen to Elton John songs before Rocketman (other than Taron's cover of "I'm Still Standing" from Sing of course), but this movie and soundtrack has blessed the world with an entire album of Taron's singing, so there was no way I wasn't going to listen to it.

Plus, it's given a new generation an appreciation and love for Elton John and Bernie Taupin's music, which is amazing (even if I prefer Taron's version of literally every song). This soundtrack has been in my go-to playlist for four months and counting, and I don't see it leaving my go-to playlist ever. I like all of the songs, so I couldn't even give you my top three songs.



All I know is my favorite is "Your Song", so you should definitely listen to that one. Oh, and the credits song, "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" is sung by both Egerton and John, and it is a bop! It's the only song new to the film and the only song with John's vocals. Plus, the music video is fantastic (pun intended). And one more thing: the Target version of the soundtrack has two exclusive tracks, one of which is a Taron only version of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me", and it is hauntingly beautiful.


Singular: Act II - Sabrina Carpenter

It honestly feels like just yesterday I was going to Target to buy Singular: Act I, but that was in November, and Act II's already here! Carpenter slowly started releasing songs from Act II while she was still touring for Act I, and I enjoyed hearing those few releases before the entire album came out. It was a nice teaser for the album and a good way to keep the momentum going.

However, once the entire album was released, it took me a little while to like all the songs on the album, because she keeps surprising me every time she releases new music. It's a nice surprise to hear her growth and maturity continue to show in her music. I said this in my July favorites post, but there's a nice variety in this album from more ballad like songs and faster, more upbeat ones. My favorites from Act II are "Exhale" and "Pushing 20".


Aaron Tveit

Unlike the rest of the music in this post, all of the Aaron Tveit music I've been listening to this summer is old. This may sound familiar if you read my July favorites post, but because of recent events, ― particularly him starring in Moulin Rouge! which recently opened on Broadway ― I've started listening to Tveit's old music, and my fandom for him has been rapidly increasing.



I never got to see him on Broadway, but his solo from Next to Normal, "I'm Alive", is a fantastic song, and he's done a lot of great covers of different songs in concerts. I've listened to a lot of his concert performances on YouTube, and my favorites have got to be his pop medley, "Young Wild Girls/Creep", "Maria" and "Tonight" with Laura Osnes from a Leonard Bernstein birthday celebration, and "Something's Coming" from his solo show at 54 Below. (Can you tell I love West Side Story?)

His version of "Maria" isn't my favorite or the best I've ever heard (that would have to be Corey Cott's from Lyric Opera of Chicago's recent production), but I still enjoy listening to his. I actually remembering watching him singing "Maria" followed by him and Osnes singing "Tonight" on New Year's Eve 2017 on TV, and I just remember being enamored by their performances.


Aladdin (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) 2019

The live action remake of Aladdin is definitely my favorite Disney remake so far, and the music is definitely one reason. I love love love "Speechless", which is Jasmine's solo song. It's definitely the best new song created for a live action Disney remake. Alan Menken and Pasek and Paul are geniuses. But I also enjoy the redone versions of the classics, particularly "A Whole New World" and "One Jump Ahead". Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott sound great together and definitely do "A Whole New World" justice, which is hard to do since lots and lots of musicians have covered it before. 

I also just heard the previously unreleased song "Desert Song" earlier this week. The song was cut from the film but is absolutely beautiful and just makes me want to cry. It goes along with a part of the film where Jasmine and Aladdin are both discussing their mothers, both of whom have passed, so just the entire context and vibe surrounding the song are emotional but sweet.


"Always True to You in My Fashion" - Stephanie Styles from Kiss Me, Kate

I don't normally listen to show tunes from shows I've never seen unless it's a show I couldn't have seen because it hasn't been on Broadway for a while r if it's a classic show or a Disney show whose story I was already familiar with. But sometimes there are exceptions, like with this song from the recent Broadway revival of Kiss Me, Kate.

Stephanie Styles is my favorite Broadway performer even though I've never seen her perform live and she just recently made her Broadway debut earlier this year. So when I first saw a video of her singing her solo from Kiss Me, Kate at BroadwayCon, I couldn't pass up listening to it and seeing what she'd be singing eight times a week on the Great White Way.


What I like about "Always True", especially since I wasn't able to watch KMK is that it's enjoyable on its own. I can still listen to it even though I've never seen the show, and it doesn't spoil anything and still makes sense. Plus, it's such a fun song that's full of personality and character and really allows Styles' talent to shine.

"How Do You Sleep?" - Sam Smith

Sam Smith is one of my favorite musical artists, and I'm loving his latest single, both the original and acoustic versions. The music itself sounds great. For the original, it has a good, uptempo but not too quick, rhythm. For the acoustic version, it's beautiful and sounds raw and real. The lyrics and message of the song is clear and is definitely something I agree in asking as the essential question is "How do you sleep when you lie to me?"


"Never Too Late" - Elton John from The Lion King (2019)

Elton John has been killing the end credits song game for movies this summer, first with "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" and then with "Never Too Late" from the Lion King remake. "Never Too Late" is just a feel-good song that makes for a great credits song to go with Simba's story. Plus, its message is on point and says it's never too late to do something and make a difference.




Bonus: Taron Egerton in Sing

The animated movie Sing came out like three years ago, and I've probably put Egerton's songs from the film in a different "What I'm Listening To" post. But "The Way I Feel Inside" and "I'm Still Standing" have been readded to my go-to playlist this summer, because I just can't get enough of Taron Egerton singing even though most of the playlist is already him.


No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.