What I Want to Read: Spring/Summer 2020


Like most (probably all) of you, I've been social distancing/in quarantine/self-isolating at home for about a month now, which has presented me with more time to read. Since we can't go out to the bookstore or the library whenever we please like normal, I've decided to plan what my next few reads are. Obviously I have no idea how long this whole thing will last, so this list of books may not be long enough,  but here are some books I want to read these next few months.

Broken Throne by Victoria Aveyard


I started reading the final book in the Red Queen series in January but still have yet to finish it ― and it's not because it's 480 pages long. Broken Throne is the last in the series but it isn't the final installment in the series. It's full of short stories and supplemental files and documents that go with the first four books. So since it isn't one big story like a normal book, I've had a bit of trouble reading it continuously. So I'm reading it a bit at a time in between finishing and starting other books.


Permanent Record by Mary H.K. Choi


I bought this book early in the year when there was a table full of YA books at Barnes & Noble that were 50% off. I'm about halfway through it at the moment, and I've just reached a big conflict for the main character. Permanent Record tells the story of Pablo and his relationship with mega celebrity Leanna Smart, whom he meets while working his graveyard shift at the bodega. At first, Pablo had no idea who she was but realized it in the middle of their initial conversation. I'm not really sure where the story's headed, but I am intrigued by the characters. Plus, Pablo and Leanna are probably the two most culturally diverse characters I've encountered in a book, which is refreshing.


Little Women by Louisa May Alcott


Little Women is one of those classic literature reads I've wanted to read but haven't gotten around to yet. With the rising popularity of the story of the March sisters because of the 2019 movie, I decided now would be a good time to read it. I've heard good things about both the book and the movie, but I don't want to watch the movie until I read the book.


The Betrothed by Kiera Cass


I love Kiera Cass's The Selection series, so when I heard about her newest series, which seems similar to The Selection, I immediately added it to my "to-read' shelf on Goodreads. As the title suggests, it tells the story of Lady Hollis Brite, who is betrothed to King Jameson after he declares his love for her. Of course, being a queen and being in a relationship with the king is never the happily ever after it seems to be.

Epic Reads actually released the first few chapters of the book earlier this week and though I didn't read the entire sneak peek (I read the first chapter and didn't want to read the rest at the moment), I am definitely eager to read the start of this new series once it comes out in early May. The book trailer is also intriguing!



Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me by Mariko Tamaki


My brother's girlfriend got this graphic novel for me for Christmas because at first, she thought it was a graphic novel adaptation of To All the Boys I've Loved Before (my favorite!), but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I keep meaning to, but I keep forgetting. Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me tells the story of Freddy's relationship with her dream girl, Laura Dean, but shows that your dream girl/guy/whoever may not always be what you hope. I read a lot of YA romance, but I've never read a YA graphic novel, and it's been a while since I've read a book about chasing/dating your dream significant other.


Loveboat, Taipei by Abigail Hing Wen


This is one of the most anticipated YA books of the year and after just a few months of being released, it has already been optioned to become a movie from the producers of To All the Boys I've Loved Before! I remember finding this book in a listicle of books and immediately being intrigued by the story and its diversity. Ever Wong gets sent to Taiwan for the summer to study Mandarin, but it turns out her summer program is nothing like it seems, which her parents don't know. The program is actually set for young teens to meet other young teens.


Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

My sister got this book for Christmas from our friend about a year and a half ago, and it's also a book I want to read. I'm intrigued by the virtual relationship highlighted in Emergency Contact as Penny and Sam have a meet-cute, exchange numbers, and become close after texting each other constantly, never seeing each other. While I've never been in a relationship, I've made a few friends online whom I've never met and contact only through text or social media, so the concept of becoming close to someone without ever physically seeing them appeals to me.


What have you been reading during quarantine? If you want to see everything I've read/want to read, check out my Goodreads!

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.