What I Want to Read: Summer 2016

One thing I love about summer is that I have three months to read whatever books I want! And three months is a lot of time to read. I'm actually pretty far behind on my reading challenge for 2016 as the spring semester was very busy for me.

So I'm trying to catch up and read as much as possible this summer, even if it means I'm spending a lot of money on books. Besides, I don't think you can ever read too much, and it's honestly better if I'm spending my money on books rather than clothes. Here are the books I'm planning on reading this summer (or already finished because it's been summer for me for a little while now.)




You Before Anyone Else by Julie Cross and Mark Perini

Image via Goodreads

I actually got an advanced readers copy of this because I'm part of Julie Cross's street team, so I got to read this months in advance! You Before Anyone Else is actually a spin-off of Cross's last book she wrote with Mark Perini, Halfway Perfect, which was on my to-read list last summer.

So this one's still in the world of modeling, but it's with two new characters: Finley and Eddie. I actually finished this book already, so I don't want to (and won't) ruin it for anyone else, but Finley's got a background in dance that really intrigued me, as a dance fan, and Eddie has a secret that really kept me engaged in the story.

I think it's really cool and clever of Cross and Perini to be able to write a spin-off of Halfway Perfect, especially since I haven't heard of too many young adult books about the modeling industry. Plus, Alex and Eve from Halfway Perfect are in this novel!



Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Image via Goodreads

This book is typically for younger readers, maybe fifth-grade or middle school kids, but I never read it at that age. I was actually supposed to read it for my creative writing class last fall, but we ended up not having time to read it. So I read it this summer instead, since it was a quick read and I already had the book. Plus, I heard good things about it.

I finished it a few weeks ago, and I don't know what it was exactly, but I didn't understand all the hype. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't like 'This book is so great and amazing!' like I thought it would be. I definitely understand why elementary and middle school kids would read it.

Anyway, I heard that Stargirl is going to be a movie, and I'm a fan of reading books before watching the movie when possible, so I'll already know the story once I see the movie.


It's Not What You Think: Why Christianity is About So Much More Than Going to Heaven When You Die by Jefferson Bethke

Image via Goodreads

This isn't a book I'd typically read. I usually stick to young adult and non-fiction/biographies/memoirs of people I'm a fan of. But I saw a tweet about this book from one of my role models and favorite musicians, Kolby Koloff. She's someone I look to for inspiration and guidance about faith, and she made these YouTube videos with Sadie Robertson from Duck Dynasty that were like little Bible studies or devotionals. So that's how that made sense.

Anyway, Kolby tweeted about it and said it was a great read, and I was intrigued by it. Plus, it was on sale on Amazon as an e-book right after I got a Kindle, so I decided to get it. That was in March, I believe, so I have started the book, but I'm not too far into it since it's a new genre and sort of read for me, but I am enjoying it so far.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Image via Goodreads

As an identical twin, I find young adult books about twins intriguing, especially when they're getting good reviews and whatnot like this one. I'll Give You the Sun wasn't quite what I expected, but it is interesting. Something about the style and the story ― I can't quite put my finger on it ― is new and different to me, and I'm not the biggest fan of it. But the story was intriguing, and while I did struggle with the style of the book a little, I did enjoy the end. It's a little mysterious with some teenage rebellion thrown in there.


The Flip Side by Shawn Johnson

Image via Goodreads

I found out 2008 Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson was releasing a young adult novel earlier this year before she even publicized it at all because I was on Amazon and found it. I had no idea what it was about (okay, I knew it was about gymnastics), but I was instantly excited for it. After reading her autobiography a few years ago, I could tell she enjoyed writing, and I enjoyed reading it. So I'm pumped to read her fiction debut!


Balancing in Heels: My Journey to Health, Happiness, and Making It All Work by Kristin Cavallari

Image via Goodreads

I grew up during the days of Laguna Beach and The Hills, and even though Kristin was someone who was sort of made out to be the bad girl/antagonist, I always liked her. When I found out she was writing a book, I was excited because I wanted to know what her thoughts on how she got to where she is.

Plus, I'm from the Chicago suburbs, and she currently lives in Chicago, so I am intrigued by her life with Jay Cutler and all that. She actually had a book signing at a bookstore not too far from where I live, but I missed it, so I'm a little bummed about that.


The End of the Perfect 10 by Dvora Meyers

Image via Goodreads

I'm not sure when I first heard of this book, but give me a book about the history of gymnastics or just gymnastics in general, and I'll read it!

I think this will be an especially interesting read for me since I never watched gymnastics during the era of the 10.0 scoring system in elite gymnastics. I began watching in 2008, and then my passion started in 2012, so I never really experienced the world of elite gymnastics with the 10.0 system.


Tumbling by Caela Carter

Image via Goodreads

Young adult novel about gymnastics? I'll take it! That's really all I need to say. Plus, this book is about Olympic Trials, which makes it perfect for this summer!


When It Counts (2016 #2) by Lauren Hopkins

Want to get psyched about the Olympics and gymnastics coming up? This is the book (and series) for that!

When It Counts is the second book in the 2016 trilogy by Lauren Hopkins. The series follows Olympic gymnastics hopefuls on the road to Rio. I really enjoyed the first one, Finding Our Balance, so I can't wait for this to come out later this summer!



What do you want to read this summer? Or if you like to stay away from reading during the summer, what do you want to do this summer? 

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.