Style Icons: Olivia Rodrigo

Photo credit Disney+/Patrick Newman

I first knew of Olivia when she made her Disney debut on Bizaarvark, but I wasn't interested in that show, so I first got to witness her talent as Nini in High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. I remember when I found out she's Filipino, and I instantly became a fan. As much as I've enjoyed her performances as Nini, I've enjoyed her music even more. It wasn't until "drivers license" came out until I finally started listening to music on repeat that wasn't Taron Egerton or Aaron Tveit. So major props to her. Haha.

Now she's releasing her first album, Sour, today, and I can't wait to hear all of the songs. I've loved all of her singles so far. So in celebration of Sour, I'm featuring my fellow Filipina-American in this week's Fashion Friday as a style icon.

I normally go through someone's Instagram to find a bunch of outfits to feature, but Olivia recently restarted her feed, so I didn't have a lot to choose from. I did like a lot of stuff she's worn recently, though, which helped!


"All I Want" Music Video


I remember when I first watched this music video. My brain went "All I want is that dress." I obviously love the pink. Bright hot pinks are my favorite, and I love the tulle. It all stands out really well in what I assume is the Utah wilderness (for lack of a better word?) since High School Musical: The Musical: The Series films in Utah. 

Anyway, the dress (or is it a two-piece situation?) is just stunning. The shades of pink contrast since they're different shades but still tie everything together and juxtapose well. The layers and tulle create some great texture and movement. The chunky black shoes really add some contrast to the frilly, girly outfit to add a little grunge to the look.


"deja vu" Music Video - Molly Goddard dress


This dress is just gorgeous. From the beautiful green color to the ruffles going around and down the skirt, it's definitely the iconic outfit of this music video. Like, taking a sledgehammer to a bunch of old TVs while wearing a bold and beautiful gown? Iconic!


"deja vu" Music Video - Chanel jacket/pool outfit


Pink being my favorite color, it's natural I gravitate toward outfits with pink. I love this Chanel jacket. It's classy and has a vintage feel. Pairing it with high waisted blue jeans and black loafers keeps it sophisticated and feeling vintage while maintaining a pretty casual look.


Interview Mag Photoshoot


Speaking of pink jackets, look at this little ensemble! This cropped jacket reminds me of a band uniform or like something a circus ringmaster wears but like a million times better and more stylish. The velvet/velour base paired with the different trims and accents plays around with different textures. The cropped tank underneath is also super cute with the cinched bow detail at the middle and eyelet scalloped trim.


2021 BRITs Award Red Carpet


Some people shy away from super bright and neon colors, and I get it. They aren't for everyone, and not everyone can pull them off. Olivia rocked the highlighter look at the BRIT Awards earlier this month, though. The pleats in the tulle all over add depth and dimension to the solid dress. The skinny black belt helps create a nice silhouette and shape that's flattering, and her black heels keep it simple but aren't too plain with a fun little bow-like strap at the front of the foot.


2021 BRITs Award Performance


You ever see an outfit and think "I don't know where/what I'd wear that for, but I love it and wish I could wear it anyway?" That's how I feel about this custom Dior red moment. I would definitely have no occasion or reason to wear it, and it would definitely take me some time to build the confidence to wear it, but the sheer cape/dress over the sequined set is so fun. It really plays with textures and fabrics to create a monochromatic look that is lively and sort of mysterious!


Billboard Cover Shoot


Cowboy hats can easily be hit or miss, especially if you're trying to incorporate them into a non-traditional cowboy or Western outfit. You can either look like a cowboy, look like you're dressing up as a cowboy, or look like it just doesn't go with your outfit. But this is a totally cute cowgirl/Western-inspired look with a fun, flirty and pink twist, which you know I'm into.

There are quite a few different colors in this outfit, which can be hard to make work, but I think this works really well. The cream color of the hat goes well with the main color of the top, and the coral color of the pants brings out the floral print on the top while the pink scarf and bracelet add a little pop of color. And because the reddish earrings appear to be translucent, it easily blends in.


Saturday Night Live Performance - "drivers license"


Slip dresses are having their moment right now, and this one she wore at Saturday Night Live was a fitting choice. When I think of slip dresses, I often think of silky/satin solid colored ones that people would wear to a fancier occasion, but Olivia's is a more casual one that's still pretty. The polka dots are cute and the lace at the bottom is a pretty accent. She seems to really be into wearing chunkier or more casual shoes with dresses, which is fun since it dresses the outfit down while adding some edge or something else depending on the shoe. Here I would say it's some edge and grunge.


Saturday Night Live Performance - "good 4 u"


I love a good matching set, and this purple and yellow plaid Vivienne Westwood was such a good outfit choice for "good 4 u." Plaid is the classic punk pattern, and "good 4 u" is the pop punk anthem single on her album, so perfect fit! Purple and yellow are complementary colors, which is why this color scheme works well. But also I like the choice of purple because it seems to be a main color in her album.



NME Magazine Cover Shoot


Here's another frilly, tulle dress and chunky shoes moment, but this one feels more classic and appropriate to me. Converse are classic, so there's that. This red dress and tights combo is just more casual and something you'd see a regular 18-year-old wearing as opposed to the other dresses included in this post. I don't know — I guess this particular outfit reminds me that she's just an 18-year-old living out her dreams, which is humbling, and I appreciate that.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.