What I Want to Read: Winter 2016-2017



One of the things I'm most excited about for winter break is being able to read whatever books I want. This past semester was a pretty busy one with classes and extra-curriculars, so I've been enjoying the free time to relax and read as much as I can.

I didn't get to do one of these posts for the fall, and I'm behind on my 2016 reading challenge, so I hope to read a lot of books this winter!



Courage to Soar: A Body in Motion, A Life in Balance by Simone Biles

Image via Goodreads
Who doesn't know about Simone Biles now that it's been months after the Olympics?

We've all likely seen the fluff pieces about her unique story about life and gymnastics on NBC during the process to the Olympics and during the Games themselves, but Biles' book lets fans know her perspective of that story that was everywhere for weeks.

As a gymnastics fanatic, of course I want to read the reigning Olympic and World Champion's book!

Off the Ice by Julie Cross

Usually when I read about sports, especially when it's young adult fiction, it's about gymnastics. However, I do read young adult fiction about other sports, particularly when it's from Julie Cross.

She's one of my favorite authors (of course I discovered her work after reading her novels/novellas about gymnastics), and I've had the pleasure of meeting her. I'm part of her street team, so I've known about a few of her books and read parts of them before publication, and this one's no exception.

I don't remember exactly when I first read part of this young adult novel about hockey ― probably about two years ago ― but I immediately enjoyed it.

This book doesn't actually come out until February, but I got to read one of the last editions just a few days ago to help with copy edits. I didn't finish the whole manuscript, but I enjoy the story and think anyone who's enjoyed her previous books will, too!


Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Image via Goodreads
To be honest, I'll read any John Green novel, especially if it's going to be a movie like this one. Reading holiday romances seems fitting considering Christmas is just around the corner, so I hope to get to this one soon.

Honestly, though, I probably wouldn't have put this on my to-read list for this winter if it wasn't $1.99 on Amazon a week or two ago. It was too good of a deal to pass up! Thank you, Goodreads for sending me those emails.

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Image via Goodreads
If you're pretty familiar with my blog and interests, then you probably know I'm somewhat of a mental health advocate. (I don't know what else to call it, but the point is: I care about mental health.) So when I came across All the Bright Places on Goodreads, I was definitely intrigued by it. It received pretty good ratings, so I added it to my "to-read" shelf.

I went to Target this past Black Friday, and this was one of the books on sale. So I grabbed a copy and put it in my basket.

Looking for Alaska by John Green

Image via Goodreads
Like I said before, I'd probably read any John Green novel. Looking for Alaska has been on my "to-read" shelf for a while, so when I saw it on sale at Target on Black Friday, I had to get it!

When It Counts (2016 #2) by Lauren Hopkins

Image via Goodreads
So this book was actually on my What I Want to Read: Summer 2016 post, but that was when I still thought the publish date was in the summer, which didn't happen. But that's okay because I wouldn't have gotten around to reading it then anyway.

The second novel in this gymnastics series came out just last week, and I can't wait to read it. I really enjoyed the first one, Finding Our Balance, and I'm a huge gymnastics fan, so I'll pretty much give any book about the sport a chance. 

Lauren Hopkins did a great job at writing an accurate novel about elite gymnastics with Finding Our Balance, so I'm sure When it Counts will live up to that as well!

I Got This: To Gold and Beyond by Laurie Hernandez

Image via Goodreads

Hernandez is likely the second-biggest new gymnastics name to become popular after the Olympics, and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept increasing because of her recent Dancing with the Stars win. 

Because she's so young in terms of gymnasts writing books, I do wish this book would wait a few years so we can get a bigger story and picture in the book, but I understand why it's happening now. Marketing and sales-wise, it makes sense to do it now even if she has so much ahead of her. 

I wouldn't doubt that she continues to win medals and be popular even when she's done with gymnastics, so I wonder if this will be the first book she'll write about her life. Regardless, she's such a charismatic person and a great gymnast, so I'm looking forward to reading this one.



What do you plan to do with your free time over winter break? If you like to read, tell me what books you're reading and want to read!

2 comments

  1. Great reading list! I also plan to read Courage to Soar and I Got This over winter break. I just started When It Counts and I'm already half way through- it is really good! Looking For Alaska is also one of my favorite books of all time :) Hope you enjoy! We will have to talk about some of these books when we finish reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carly!
      I haven't bought When It Counts yet, but I'll probably get it sometime next week.
      And yes, for sure! We'll definitely talk about them when we're done! (:

      Delete

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.