My Favorite Blog Posts of 2016


2016 marked the second full year I've had this blog, and in terms of blogging, 2016 was alright. I only published about 45 posts in 2016, which is just okay compared to the nearly 70 posts I published in 2015.

While I didn't get to post as much in 2016 as 2015, I still have quite a few favorite posts from 2016. Whether it helped me remember a great day or event or expressed my feelings about someone and the impact he/she's had on my life, the following blog post links are my favorites from 2016:


Ending Break on a High Note: Meeting Doug McDermott


Meeting anyone famous is pretty cool, especially when it's the first of a group. For example, Chicago Bulls player Doug McDermott was the first NBA player I ever met, so I definitely enjoyed writing about meeting him nearly a year ago.

Thank You, Kyla Ross

2012 Olympic gymnast Kyla Ross is one of my favorite gymnasts (and people), so when she officially announced her retirement from elite (aka Olympic level) gymnastics, I was surely upset. I wanted to see her go for Rio but her heart wasn't in it anymore. In my blog post concerning her retirement, I expressed how much I loved her beyond her beautiful gymnastics.

Love and Thanks for McKayla Maroney

Shortly after fellow Fierce Five member and 2012 Olympian Kyla Ross announced her retirement from (elite) gymnastics, her best friend McKayla Maroney did the same. It was not a happy week for gym fans.

While most people know Maroney as the gymnast who fell on her butt at the Olympics and wasn't impressed about it, my blog post goes beyond her superb vaulting skills. Maroney has shown such kindness and much love to her fans, myself included, so my blog post dedicated to her thanked her for that.

Portland 2016: A Glance at the City of Roses


Last May I took a trip to Portland with a bunch of fellow Illini who aspire to work in the sport media industry. While touring different stadiums, agencies, and headquarters was awesome, I especially loved getting to explore the city. I'd never been to the Pacific Northwest before, and Portland's a pretty cool place, so I shot a lot of cool photos in the City of Roses, which I enjoyed sharing on this blog. 

Motivation Monday: The 2016 U.S. Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team

If you know me, you know I love gymnastics. I'm obsessed with it. And because 2016 was an Olympic year, it was extra special for me as a gym fan. Though I could predict the U.S. Women's Olympic gymnastics team a little while before Olympic Trials, it was still very exciting to hear that announcement.

I don't think I love the Final Five as much as London's Fierce Five, but Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Laurie Hernandez, Madison Kocian, and Aly Raisman all inspire and motivate me, probably more than the Fierce Five did. Realizing that, I thought the Final Five would be a great subject for a Motivation Monday post.

My Favorite Dances from SYTYCD 13 (The Next Generation)

Of the 13 seasons of FOX's So You Think You Can Dance, season 13 is definitely one of my favorites. It was the first season to feature kids as the contestants as opposed to young adults, and it was very entertaining. These kids are just as talented as some adult dancers and performed a ton of awesome dances that I'll never forget.

Loving The Sound at My First Concert: The 1975


It only took me 21 years to go to my first concert, but the wait was worth it! The 1975 put on a great show and made me have their songs stuck in my head for a good week. I would definitely recommend going to see The 1975 in concert if you like them and have the chance.

I Felt Too Much After Meeting Jamie Tworkowski (Again)

To Write Love on Her Arms founder Jamie Tworkowski may not be considered famous or well-known to most people, but he is to me. Being able to meet him again was a honor. Being able to meet him with a group of my friends was even better. Having him come to the University of Illinois campus was one of the best parts of 2016. Jamie brought so much joy and hope into our lives and our campus when he came. I couldn't not write a blog post about it. (It is a lengthy one, though! I couldn't help it. It was just too great of a day.)


Which of last year's blog posts did you enjoy reading? What posts would you like to see this year?

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.