My May Favorites


May was the most eventful month I've had in a while. There were a lot of things I wanted to go and see, like movies and shows, and I discovered a lot of new music that I'll be listening to on repeat for the entire summer probably.

West Side Story at the Lyric Opera of Chicago


I could go on and on about how much I love Lyric Opera's production of West Side Story, but I already raved about it in a previous blog post about my experience as a WSS Insider and on the blog I share with my sister. So I'll try not to write too much. West Side Story is one of my top two favorite musicals of all time, but I'd never seen a live stage production of it until this year. I've watched the movie several times, but it simply cannot compare to live theater, especially Lyric Opera's production. Corey Cott and Mikaela Bennett were amazingly outstanding as Tony and Maria. The supporting characters and ensemble were also just as talented. I've simply never loved live theatre more than I have during the four times (yes, I saw it four times) I watched Lyric Opera's WSS.  

"Exhale" by Sabrina Carpenter

If you've seen any of my recent monthly favorites posts, you're probably familiar with Sabrina Carpenter and know she's one of my favorite musical artists. She released another song from her upcoming album, Singular: Act II, and I love it. "Exhale" is kind of short at only 2:50, but it has such a clear and strong message. It's a great reminder that we all need to take a break every now and then, and it's quite calming and relaxing to listen to, which goes along with the message of the song perfectly.



Rocketman and Rocketman (Music From The Motion Picture)

If you know me, you know Taron Egerton is my favorite actor, and his latest film is Rocketman, the fantasy musical biopic where he plays the legendary Elton John. The movie opened in the U.S. on May 31, but I had the opportunity to watch it two weeks early on May 18 at a Fandango early access screening. To be honest, I didn't know very much about Elton John before watching the movie, because when you're born in 1995, Elton John means The Lion King, but Rocketman was an awesome film that taught me about the icon's life, talent, music, and story. In addition, it has a great message, and the music is fantastic. Egerton does a brilliant job at acting and singing the part, and it was his best role yet.


All of the songs on the soundtrack are awesome and sound great. I really enjoyed how the songs were used to help tell the film's narrative and not just show off a bunch of the awesome songs John and writing partner Bernie Taupin created. The movie was the first time I heard a lot of the songs, but I've listened to the soundtrack countless times since. My favorites include "Rocket Man", "Your Song", and "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" with the last song being a brand new one created just for the film. John and Egerton both sing in it, and it's just so much fun.



"Speechless" by Naomi Scott from Aladdin (2019)

Considering Aladdin was a live action remake of the 1992 animated film, pretty much everyone knew what the story would be. So what I was most curious about concerning the live action movie was the music, especially since I knew new music had been created for the Broadway musical version of Aladdin. In the musical, Jasmine has her own song called "These Palace Walls", and I was hoping it would be in the live action movie. It isn't, and I was initially upset about it, but I understand why it isn't and actually love the song Alan Menken, Benj Pasek, and Justin Paul created for Jasmine. "Speechless" is such a powerful, moving, relevant song that Naomi Scott sings beautifully. I can't stop listening to it!




Bike shorts

Women's High-Rise Bike Shorts - Wild Fable Neon Pink with Women's Round Neck Cropped Tank Top - Wild Fable Neon Pink
One of this season's biggest (and probably comfiest) trends is bike shorts, which are shorts that are kind of stretchy and made of cotton and/or spandex and end just above the knee. What I really like about them is that a lot of them are high rise, so the shorts provide comfort and coverage. Plus, they're super easy to throw on and wear to create a cute outfit. They go really well with crop tops.

Forever 21 Newspaper Print Biker Shorts

Striped jumpsuit from Express


I've been a fan of jumpsuits for a while now, but the amount I own does not correlate to how much I like them. So when I saw this one in the clearance section at Express, I immediately loved it and wanted to buy it, especially because jumpsuits can be so versatile and make such cute and easy outfits. You can dress it up like I did on the left with a fun blazer and heeled shoes, or you can keep it more casual with some flat sandals of even sneakers. But my favorite thing about this has to be the pockets! 


Chocolate dipped doughnut from Stan's Donuts


The chocolate dipped doughnut from Stan's is my new favorite doughnut. It's a cake doughnut covered in chocolate, and it's just so good! It's surprisingly not too sweet despite it being completely covered in chocolate, and the doughnut itself is just so nice, soft, and moist. 

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.