Fashion Friday: My Favorite Looks from the 2019 Met Gala

Credit:Jennifer Graylock/PA Wire/PA Images
The first Monday of May is always a big night for fashion as it's when the Metroplitan Museum of Art, better known as the Met, holds the Costume Institute Gala, better known as the Met Gala or the Met Ball. It's a big fundraiser for the fashion/costume portion of the Met, so a lot of big Hollywood and even international names are in attendance dressed to the nines.

Every year has a theme, and this year's was camp, which can be hard to understand. In simple terms, camp has to do with extravagance, excess, and being over the top. In modern slang terms, camp is about being extra. So a lot of attendees wore and did a lot with their looks. It was hard for me to narrow down my favorite looks, and I'm still not even sure if these would be my top 15, but they're definitely 15 of my favorites.

A lot of people wore pink this year, and of course I loved it, so you'll be seeing a lot of that.

Rachel Brosnahan

Credit: Getty / John Shearer
This isn't a super extravagant look, but I do love the colors, all the ruffles, and the floral print. The orange florals on the magenta base pop but are somehow still subtle. All of the ruffles create a nice flow and texture without it looking like something a Founding Father would wear, and the sheer material creates more depth.


Naomi Campbell

Credit: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP
So I'm honestly not sure if this outfit is pink or purple because in some pictures, it looks pink, and in others, it looks purple. Regardless, I'm a fan of this look. The feather boa-like cape thing looks so fun and glamorous and really complements the entire outfit. The lace tights also add another level of glam to this outfit, and I just love how unapologetically (for the lack of a better word) glamorous it is.


Gemma Chan

Credit: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP
Ugh. I just love Gemma Chan (which you may know because I featured her as one of my style icons). She looked like an absolute queen in her Met Gala debut. She just looks so regal! This headpiece is amazingly beautiful and so intricate. Her gown is just extra sparkly and looks like it's made of diamonds, which is just gorgeous. And I think this look just proves there's no such thing as too much sparkle, because she's literally wearing crystals from head to toe.

Lily Collins

Credit: Getty / Karwai Tang
Ruffles and trains were definitely popular at this year's gala, and I love the high-low action with Lily Collins's look. It adds more drama and flair, and her hair and makeup are great, too. The satin-like sheen of the dress adds depth and contrast to the outfit overall, especially since her makeup and shoes look very flat and matte.


Henry Golding

Credit: Dia Dipasupil/FilmMagic
I'm a sucker for ombre, but I have never seen an ombre suit ― especially not like this! Henry Golding made his Met Gala debut in a shiny ombre look that looks awesome. I'm not sure how many people could pull this look off without looking like they belong in the 1970s at a disco or something, but he managed to do it.


Doutzen Kroes

Credit: Getty / Karwai Tang
Again, this look isn't the craziest or most extra from the Met Gala, but that's fine. I still love this. Of course, I love the color, but I also like all of the ruffled trim on the skirt as well as all of the ruffles on the back of the bodice.


Lady Gaga

Credit: Getty / Rabbani and Solimene Photography
Technically Lady Gaga had like four different outfits at the Met Gala, but I definitely liked what I would call the main look, which was this big pink gown. I just really love that so many decided to wear pink. The color is so vibrant and looked great on the pink carpet. And the gown itself was just a lot but worked really well considering the theme and how Lady Gaga's never really been known to dress ordinarily.


Ryan Murphy

Credit: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images
This was probably my favorite men's look of the night because look at all that rose gold! I love rose gold, so this was awesome. All of the sequins, sparkles, and embellishments all over literally made him shine on that carpet, and the cloak just looks so cool!


Kacey Musgraves

Credit: Getty Images
Kacey Musgraves absolutely slayed at the Met Gala. Her outfit is probably my favorite of the entire evening. I mean, she literally replicated an iconic Barbie doll! Not only did she nail the hot pink leather moto dress, but she got the details right, too, like the hair dryer purse and the sunglasses! I just love a fierce hot pink moment.


Deepika Padukone

Credit: Getty / Dia Dipasupil
This gown takes ruffles new a whole other level with a modern twist, and I am all here for it. The way the ruffles form and cascade at the back and are adorned with jewels is beautiful. Obviously, I love the pink color, and her jeweled headband adds another nice touch of sparkle.


Madelaine Petsch

Credit: Getty Images
I love Madelaine Petsch, and she looked like an ethereal fairy princess at her first Met Gala. All of The sheer fabric gives the whole look a light feel and shows off all of the detail underneath, including the very structured geometric lines on the dress. The big round overskirt is like what women and young ladies in the like 1700s wore but not as obnoxious, and it works really well here to create a fun shape. I don't think I've ever seen Petsch in this minty green color before, and it looks great on her.


Emma Roberts

Credit: Getty / Dimitrios Kambouris
If Madelaine Petsch was like a fairy princess, then I'd say Emma Roberts was like an elf princess. Her hair accessories, jewelry, and dress altogether give me a fantasy vibe that reminds me of what an elf princess would be like. It's all very dainty and reminiscent of forests and flowers, so I just get that vibe from this look. All of the ruffled tulle creates a fun layer effect that's so playful, and I love the mesh upper bodice at the top that prevents the dress from being strapless. I just love mesh and faux necklines.


Josephine Skriver

Credit: Getty / John Shearer
I didn't see a whole lot of this beige/tan color on the pink carpet, but I adore this look. The multicolored florals all over the dress and her boots really pop against the beige. The varying sizes of the flowers on the train of the dress are fun and add dimension that made for a great coordinated look.


Michael Urie

Credit: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP
As a Glee fan (I was totally a Gleek in high school), I immediately recognized this look as a reference to character Victor/Victoria from the musical of the same name as Kurt Hummel wore an outfit just like this one in season two during the duets episode. While neither side of the outfit on its own is over-the-top, together, it creates an awesome juxtaposition that definitely doesn't fall short of the intended excessiveness of the theme. 


Constance Wu

Credit: Getty / Dimitrios Kambouris
Constance Wu's look is what I like to call 1920s flapper meets siren. All of the intricate beading on the dress and her little feather head accessory really reminds me of flapper dresses while the rest of her look, for some reason I can't exactly pinpoint, reminds me of a siren, a mermaid luring men to danger. And it looks beautiful. All of the mesh and sheer fabric lets the intricate beading be the star of the dress and creates a nice illusion and shape.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.