Fashion Friday: Style Icons: Gemma Chan

Photo credit
I've fallen in love with Gemma Chan's red carpet style ever since I saw her Golden Globes outfit a few weeks ago. Ever since I watched her in Crazy Rich Asians, I've always found myself drawn to her and her character, Astrid, who is just as elegant and stylish as Chan herself. CRA actually wasn't the first time I watched one of her films, as I saw her in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, but I didn't actually know who she was then and her character there never allured me. Now that I'm familiar with her, I can't wait to watch her in more movies, admire more of her red carpet looks, and see what Astrid does (and wears) in the next CRA movies.



I literally turned the Critics Choice Awards last Sunday right as Crazy Rich Asians won Choice Movie, and I absolutely loved her pink floral gown the second I saw her wearing it. I love pink and florals and faux necklines and just everything about this gown! And the best part? IT HAS POCKETS! What's better than a pretty dress with pockets? Also, this gown actually has a faux neckline and isn't actually off-the-shoulder. If you pay very close attention, you can see that it actually has a mesh upper bodice, and I'm so in awe of how invisible the mesh looks. Bravo, Jason Wu. Bravo.





She literally stood out among her castmates at the National Board of Review in this yellow floral dress. The yellow florals are so pretty and dainty, and the black lace on the side contrasts really well with it and adds a beautiful and bold touch.



Gemma Chan won the Golden Globes red carpet this year for me. I love absolutely everything about this gown. It has shorts. It has a gorgeous open back with a bow at the top. It's such a regal, gorgeous blue. It has ruffles and ruching to add just the right amount of texture and depth. And while monochromatic outfits don't always work, hers did, and those shoes keep it all together. Oh, and this gown has pockets, too! She knows what's up.



Well this deep blue color just looks great on her, doesn't it? I;m not a big fan of one-shoulder dresses or tops for myself for some reason, but this one-shoulder gown with the ruffled fan looks absolutely stunning and matches the backdrop quite well!




A post shared by Gemma Chan (@gemma_chan) on

I love a good jumpsuit, and this white one is so stylish and structured. The color is quite elegant, and the straps and lapel create a nice shape and silhouette. Her gold accessories add some simple shine that allows the jumpsuit to be the star of the show but still complements it.



My favorite thing about this outfit is the retro vibes it gives off. I'm not sure which decade I feel like I'd see this matching set's pattern in, but it it just feels so retro without looking like it's actually from 40 or 50 years ago. This outfit is a nice balance of fun and structured and formal.



This ensemble just feels so posh and cute, like Kate Spade meets Burberry meets Gucci. I love the bow at the collar of the shirt and the stripes look great on the white without looking nautical.



A pretty pink suit? What's not to like? Sometimes pantsuits can make look too rigid or businesslike, but this is definitely a fashionable and stylish set ― and it's not just because of the color. The ruffled sleeves add some flair, and the tortoiseshell buttons make it more casual.



Oh, this outfit is just too cute! I haven't seen many summer or more casual outfits of hers, but this is definitely a winner. The yellow throughout the outfit is just so fun, happy, and bright and gives the outfit a fresh feel. The lemon pattern and striped skirt are able to work together without clashing despite the presence of two patterns, and the solid plain purse and shoes finish the ensemble nicely without adding too much.




A post shared by Gemma Chan (@gemma_chan) on

I can't quite tell what the pattern of this cape dress is, but it looks super cool and shows up quite well on the white without being too faint or too bold.

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.