My May Favorites

May was originally supposed to be a rather adventurous month for me as I was to travel for the first time since the pandemic began and go to places I'd never been before, but apparently God and the universe had other plans for me. So instead of going to my good friend's wedding, covering a gymnastics meet, and attending a cabaret concert featuring Broadway performers, pretty much all I did in May was listen to Olivia Rodrigo's debut album and shop. (Joking but also serious because that's pretty accurate.)

Take a look below to see a bunch of new products I discovered, including the best no-show socks that actually stay on my feet! 



Music and Entertainment

SOUR - Olivia Rodrigo

This should come to no surprise if you've seen my last few monthly favorites posts as all of her singles have been included. SOUR is truly one of the best albums I've ever listened to as there truly are no skips. I do admit I was hesitant about "brutal" (especially) and "good 4 u" upon first hearing them, but both grew on me. Now "good 4 u" is one of my favorites.


SOUR is an emotional journey from start to finish, detailing more "negative" (sour and bitter!) emotions like anger and rage, jealousy, and of course sadness. With this album, she says it's okay and totally normal and valid for girls and women to feel all of these emotions. It's okay, it should be accepted, and we should not be judged for it. And anytime a song or any form of media can make you feel things you aren't already feeling or haven't experienced before, it's done a good job. Olivia Rodrigo is a young, rising, musical genius, and SOUR has been and will continue to be on repeat and all I listen to for the foreseeable future. 



Fashion

Primark Laser-Cut Footie Socks

If you've ever tried literally any low-cut no-show sock, you know how fickle they can be as they almost always slide off the back of your foot. Well I've finally found ones that actually stay put and do not budge! Unfortunately they aren't for sale online.

But if you ever find yourself near a Primark store, I would stop in to find these socks. They have a non-slip lining all around the inside trim of the sock, which is what makes them actually stay on your feet. I bought only one pack of three and wish I bought three more packs. I'll definitely be buying more next time I'm in downtown Chicago.


Primark floral dress


When I first saw this dress in the store, I thought it was super cute. But when I tried it on, I kind of fell in love with it because it makes me feel like Gabriella in High School Musical 3 during "Can I Have This Dance?" I just want to twirl around in it all day!


My only complaint is that the way it's constructed, it has a little snap button closure near the waist that doesn't stay for me because I'm in between sizes. With the size I have, it fits, but the button won't stay closed. If I sized up, it'd be too big in the chest, but the snap closure would stay. Luckily, if (and when) the button comes undone, it isn't really noticeable nor does it reveal anything.



Nike Air Force 1 '07 - Fireberry/white

Nike Air Force 1s are one of those sneakers that are timeless and classic. They'll never go out of style and are so versatile. But they've also been trending, not unlike other timeless sneakers (white vans or Converse anyone?) But unlike white slip-on Vans and Converse, I didn't really see myself wanting AF1s even when they got trendy.


But then I saw a hot pink pair one or two years ago and thought they were super cool. Unfortunately those sold out fast, and I never got them. Then I got an Instagram or  Facebook ad for these a few months ago and jumped on them before they could sell out. I like that they're white as it's crisp, clean, and classic, but I of course love the pink details and touches. They add some flair, are more me, and distinguish themselves from everyone else's.


Hair and Beauty

Glamnetic lashes

After getting an Ulta gift card at the end of April, I decided to try these magnetic lashes I'd been seeing on Instagram. Ever since I heard of magnetic lashes, I was intrigued. I've always wanted long, noticeable lashes and have tried lots of mascaras, but nothing worked that well for me. My lashes don't hold a curl well, and I wear glasses. So oftentimes when I wear mascara, it ends up on my lenses. So magnetic lashes seemed like an easy alternative to try.


My first pair was the Virgo lash, which is a short, round natural lash, and I immediately loved them. They made such a noticeable difference even though they're a natural style. They're comfortable to wear and last all day. I do admit magnetic lashes take a bit of practice to apply, and the magnetic liquid liner is kind of gummy, but I would much prefer it to lash glue. Both the lashes and eyeliner are quite pricey, but it's worth it over spending $10+ on mascara every few months and is probably similar in cost for the combo of normal lashes and glue. The magnetic eyeliner lasts a while, and the lashes can be worn 40+ times depending on how often you wear them and if/how well you take care of them. 


Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask

Over the past year or so, I've been getting into more beauty and hair care products in an effort to take better care of myself. I have really long and thick hair and often have some frizz and flyaways. In an effort to improve that, I've been using the popular Olaplex No. 8 hair mask after a recommendation from my fellow Filipina and former Women's Health beauty director Kristina Rodulfo.


It is quite pricey, but it does seem to last a while, and I noticed a difference right away. The mask is easy to use as you apply some to your hair when it's damp. Then you let it sit for 10 minutes and then rinse it out. Even before my hair dried, I could feel how much softer it was. It didn't magically get rid of my frizz or flyaways, but it has helped. I have noticed my hair stays softer and shinier for longer than before, and I can go longer in between washes.


TLB Just a Tint 3-in-1 Skin Conditioner

I was scrolling on Instagram one day when I saw a post for this product on Instagram. I was immediately intrigued because I wanted to know what made it more than a tinted moisturizer with SPF. So it's basically a tinted lightweight foundation/moisturizer/sunscreen. I'd never worn foundation or concealer before, but I have been making more of an effort to wear SPF on my face daily, so I wanted to give this a try. After all, wearing this one product does three things three separate products normally do, so why not make it easier?

Since I couldn't go in a store to test shades on myself, I easily found and matched my shade online with their complexion quiz. I matched with Caramel Delight but accidentally bought Honey Dip when I went to Target, which is one shade darker than my match. I was worried it would be too dark, but it actually worked out and blends totally fine. So perhaps I'm actually in between shades or Honey Dip is my summer shade?

Anyway, I've used it several times now and quite enjoy it. It is almost $20 for a little tube, but a little product goes a long way. Even though it does have hyaluronic acid to hydrate your skin, I still wear moisturizer underneath, and this has kept my face hydrated on top of that. It doesn't feel heavy at all and does a good job at minimizing the redness my keratosis pilaris sometimes causes (yes, KP can affect your face!).


Heart LED Mirror

I saw this mirror at a Marshalls and thought it was so cute. I mean, a pink heart mirror? It has me written all over it. I'm super near-sighted and need to stick my face like right in front of a mirror to do my eye makeup, so this mirror comes in handy. The light is nice and bright, and the base of the mirror is a great little trinket/storage place. It's super to easy to use, as well, and just needs batteries. 



No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.