Fashion Friday: 2019 Oscars Fashion Favorites

Photo credit: Frazer Harrison/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
While I didn't actually get to watch this year's Oscars last weekend because I was busy working, I did not miss out on all of the great red carpet fashion. (Thank you, Instagram!) This year's red carpet was a really good one, full of unforgettable looks, and a lot of pink, which I personally loved, of course. The great fashion continued into after parties as well, especially the Vanity Fair after party.  And it wasn't just the ladies either ― the men had some great, unique outfits that I enjoyed. But the ladies still stole most of the show for me. Here are my favorite Oscars looks from this year:

Awkwafina


When I first saw Awkwafina's outfit, it automatically reminded me of Lizzie McGuire's outfit from The Lizzie McGuire Movie when she's singing in the Colosseum because it's got the flare and the sparkle. Wearing all one color/all one texture, especially when it's a metallic color could make you look like a penny or some other coin, but she nails it with this suit. The scarf is more sheer but still has some sheen to tone it down, adding a bit of contrast to the outfit. This is how you stand out in monochrome.

Rowan Blanchard



A post shared by Rowan Blanchard (◕‿◕)🌹 (@rowanblanchard) on

Normally, I would not like the gigantic puffy sleeves and would think they're too much, but they actually aren't in this case, and Rowan pulls this dress off really well. The sleeves actually add great shape and texture to the dress and don't bury her face or her at all. (It probably helps that Rowan's sporting a short hairdo now). This dress actually gives me Lily James Cinderella vibes with the pale blue, the tulle, and the floral embellishments all over. It has such pretty detailing, and the sequin florals give it a nice little sparkle.

Gemma Chan


I just love Gemma Chan's style. (You probably know that if you've frequented my blog in the past few months as I featured her in my latest Style Icons post.) When I saw her in this dress, I literally thought 'OH MY GEMMA CHAN' because I was in awe. I know her dress looks big and poofy in a non-ballgown type of way, which is honestly hard to pull off and something I didn't think I'd like, but she just rocks this hot pink dress.

Honestly, what's not for me to love about Gemma Chan wearing a hot pink dress? She's one of my favorite celebrities, and hot pink is my favorite color. And the best part is that it has pockets! I mean, pockets are a great way to take advantage of all that space the big train and fabric allows, and dresses with pockets are the best. Plus, she had cookies in her pocket! Like, this is why I love Gemma Chan. Anyway, back to the outfit, I love the ruffles, especially the ones at the neckline. They frame her face really well and add a fun flair to the top of the dress since the back and the rest of it are so dramatic.


Chris Evans



A post shared by Chris Evans (@aboutchrisevans) on

While any suit or sport coat would make Chris Evans look dashing, this blue velvet one is just exquisite. I don't think I'd ever seen a velvet suit jacket until Taron Egerton wore an orange one as Eggsy in Kingsman: The Golden Circle, and now I think they're such awesome jackets. The blue is a nice color for late winter/early spring and is a nice pop of color and change from the normal black ensembles men typically wear to special events and occasions.

Laura Harrier


Here's another beautiful blue look from another Marvel actor. The jewels are just stunning on the baby blue fabric and add just the right amount of sparkle so the blue color still shines. The shape and silhouette of the dress look great on Laura and give off modern Tiana from Princess and the Frog vibes when she's all dressed up at Charlotte's party. Her Bulgari necklace, though it's green and ruby, doesn't detract from her dress and adds some other hints of color and sparkle.

Regina King


Whoever thinks fancy white dresses are just for weddings is wrong because Regina King looks like a queen in this white Oscar de la Renta gown. The ruffling and folds are in just the right places to add some depth to the dress while the train and slit add drama and flair. This is a simple, classic, and elegant look that looks perfect on her.

Jason Momoa


Now I've already said that velvet suit jackets are cool, but if you ever told me to imagine a blush pink velvet suit, I would have been hesitant. But Jason Momoa's blush pink velvet ensemble by Fendi is awesome. No doubts here. I obviously am a fan of the blush pink color, but I really like the gray that complements it. It adds some boldness and contrast that's needed for the otherwise subtle color palette.

Giuliana Rancic


Although Giuliana Rancic's entire outfit is black, there's actually a lot going on because of the different textures and patterns, which I love. The bodice is made of a sheer, thin lace while the skirt is darker and fuller and made from a rose-like patterned fabric, and those two contrast really well to add some dimension to the dress. I really like the halter top neckline and the high-low skirt.

Julia Roberts


Another hot pink dress on my list of favorites? Shocker, right? This shade of pink looks amazing on Julia Roberts, and it's just so fun. The one shoulder strap and ruffled hemline of the asymmetrical skirt show of some skin and just create a nice, flowy feel. The pink band at the waist is great to create a nice silhouette, and her ankle strap heels match perfectly!

Constance Wu


To quote the song "Belle" from Beauty and the Beast, isn't this amazing? What a beautiful yellow gown! It 100% reminds me of a modern version of Belle's iconic dress. The color is stunning, and I love the design of it. The off-the-shoulder sweetheart neckline is so pretty and has jeweled trim. And the sheer yellow overlay on the top of the bodice and the skirt creates that flow that just makes you want to twirl around in it all day.

But the best part has got to be the reason Constance Wu wore yellow. She was inspired to wear yellow because of Crazy Rich Asians director Jon M. Chu's letter to Coldplay asking to use the band's song, "Yellow" in his movie. You can read the condensed version of Chu's letter on Wu's Instagram, but basically yellow is a derogatory term for Asians to describe them and the color of their skin, which Chu has experienced. Chu never thought of the color yellow in a positive way until he heard "Yellow" by Coldplay when he heard the color to describe the stars, a woman's skin, and the love that's being described in the song. "Yellow" by Coldplay did make it into CRA but Coldplay's wasn't the version that was used. Instead, a Mandarin version sung by Katherine Ho was used, and it is such a beautiful rendition of the song. I love me some good fashion, a good story, and some good symbolism!

No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.