Fashion Friday: 2019 Tony Awards Fashion Favorites

Theo Wargo/Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images
This year I watched the Tonys for the second time and saw so many wonderful looks on the red carpet, in the show, and at after parties. There were so many that I had to include 20, which I think is the most I've ever done for one of these posts. I also think I included more men than I ever have before, so basically the fashion at this year's Tonys was just off the charts. Broadway's biggest night truly delivered in fashion.


Sara Bareilles

Getty Images
Although this burgundy and black dress seems more appropriate for fall, I still love it. The colors are deep and rich, providing a nice contrast. The velvet diamond pattern cascading and growing from the top to bottom is awesome, and the pattern on the sheer skirt looks beautiful.


Hamish Bowles

AP
This suit just screams springtime, and I love it. The light purple base is gorgeous, and the florals all over are just so fun. It's a great look for the Tonys, especially this year since the red carpet backdrop wasn't full of roses all over, so nothing's clashing here.



Rachel Brosnahan

Getty Images
I just get an ethereal vibe from this dress ― it's so pretty! Everything about it is light, from the colors to the fabric, and it's great for a early summer formal event like the Tonys. The ruffles at the arms and the pleats on the skirt add some texture and depth while the rhinestone design adds some sparkle and shine.


Kerry Butler

Getty Images
Pretty, white, and bright is how I'd describe Kerry Butler's dress. The white really pops and looks great against the backdrop. The floral design is really pretty and adds some color to the outfit, and I love how everything is long and flowy. It's provides a nice balance between formal and comfort.


Sophia Anne Caruso

Getty Images
Sophia Anne Caruso's dress by Pamella Roland is simply gorgeous. I love the champagne color with the golden marble-like design ― I love marble. The way the dress flares out and then goes in and down to ruffles over the tulle skirt is so cool and unique.


Ben Tyler Cook

Getty Images
This is a pretty simple outfit, but this Newsie fan-favorite gets bonus points for the fun purple color. It's just nice to see a suit that isn't black, and it goes well with the pride backdrop for this year's Tonys.


James Corden

Theo Wargo/Getty Images for Tony Awards Productions
James Corden not only did an excellent job on the opening number, but he rocked it in a hot pink tuxedo jacket. I love the colors (of course) and how they not only stand out but contrast against each other.


Andre De Shields

Getty Images
I feel like Andre de Shields can do no wrong. I mean, not only did he impart what were probably the best words of wisdom of the night when he accepted his Tony for best featured actor, he showed up to the red carpet wearing this awesome, unique jacket, complete with gold bow tie! I don't really know how to describe the pattern on the jacket, but it's not something you see every day and looks regal, especially with the metallic threading. And the gold bow tie really brings out all of the other shining elements of his outfit, like the buttons closing his jacket and the pink on his lapel.


Celia Keenan-Bolger

AP  Photo by EVAN AGOSTINI/INVISION
I feel like this dress is classic Cinderella meets modern Cinderella. The majority of the skirt is very much like a classic, tulle, A-line "going to a ball" Cinderella dress while the rest of the dress has the same color but adds a more modern spin to it with the satin-like fabric and all of the folds and ruffles, creating some fun texture.


Lucy Liu

Getty Images
Lucy Liu couldn't have picked a better occasion to wear this beautiful ruffled gown, because look how well it matches the rainbow floral backdrop! This dress is just so stunning with the bright purple color and gorgeous ruffles, and it just really stands out, literally and figuratively.


Ryan Murphy

Getty Images
I feel like it's hard to get a good picture that shows off Ryan Murphy's blue and silver (I think?) jacket on the right because the light does reflect and play off it so much, but it's safe to say that it's unique and fun. I love how it's metallic almost and really shines. The blue color is beautiful, and while I can't quite pinpoint what sort of pattern is on the jacket, it looks really cool.


Kelli O'Hara

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP
Jumpsuits are all the rage lately, so I'm not surprised Kelli O'Hara opted for a super cute one for the Tonys this year. The black lace is so pretty, and I love the way it layers over the sheer "pants" of the jumpsuit, creating a nice contrast.The flared legs and little overlay on the side are so fun and add a nice playfulness to the ensemble. 


Laura Osnes

Getty Images
Laura Osnes wearing Christian Siriano is like a dream come true every time, because it always results in an absolutely gorgeous dress that I want! First of all, I love the pink of course. It's fun and bright without making her look like a bottle of Pepto Bismol. The velour/velvet texture of the dress is luxurious and makes the sparkle look really cool and adds depth. The darker pink ruffles at the train and her shoulder and even more texture, depth, and flair. This is definitely my favorite look of the night, and I promise I'm not just saying that because it's pink and Laura Osnes is one of my Broadway favorites.


Ashley Park

Getty Images
Like Lucy Liu, I don't think Ashley Park could have chosen a better occasion to wear this dress. The bright yellow is so vibrant and lively and looks great against the floral backdrop. It's simple but beautiful, and when you're wearing such a bold color, simple is a good choice.


Tiler Peck

Getty Images
My favorite thing about this dress is all of the textures, from the ruffled tulle sleeves to the small velvet bodice to the sheer pleated skirt. They're all black, but the fabric and way it's assembled really creates a unique look that provides dimension without looking like it's too much black or too dark.


Billy Porter

Taylor Hill/FilmMagic
I will admit I don't know the entire backstory as to what's going on here (Billy Porter is wearing the old Kinky Boots curtain, and I know the outfit is supposed to make a statement about women's health and reproductive rights), but he is pulling this off like almost no one else could. Oftentimes, red and a medium pink like that can look too much like Valentine's Day, but it doesn't here. The satin pink on the lapel really pops against the red vest, and the pink tulle all over the bottom is a lot but in the best way. Props to anyone who can wear something this extravagant and actually pull it off. Plus, it looks great in front of the backdrop! (I know I've said that a lot, but honestly how good it looks against the backdrop is an important factor.)


Anthony Ramos

Getty Images
If you know me or saw my Fashion Friday from last week featuring Taron Egerton, you know I'm a sucker for velvet jackets. This picture doesn't really show it, but I'm 99% sure this is a velvet jacket as it looked like velvet when he was on stage presenting. A black velvet jacket doesn't seem as cool or adventurous as a colored velvet jacket, but this one just looks so suave. Ramos really elevated his style and swag by pairing the jacket with a black shirt and gold chain necklace. It's all quite simple but sleek and cool.


Michael James Scott

Getty Images
Sometimes you don't realize how bright white can be until someone wears an all white outfit like this. It just pops, especially against that backdrop! I feel like people don't see men in all white very often, but this looks great! It's perfect for summer and just looks so crisp and clean. I'm not sure what's going on with his shoes, but the embellishments certainly do look cool.


Aaron Tveit

Getty Images
I don't really know why Aaron Tveit decided to wear two jackets to the Tonys, but I'm not mad about it. (Hi, Tripp Vanderbilt.) The long pinstriped jacket adds a level of sophistication that wouldn't be present if he wore just the suit, and the two dark blues look nice against each other. I do wonder why his shirt sleeves (or maybe it's just a cuff or something?) are so long and stick out from the long jacket, but I like my long sleeves to be a little long, so I get it.


LJ Wright



I’ve been obsessed with @bobmackie designs since the Bob Mackie Barbies in 1996. He inspires me endlessly and is arguably the reason I fell in love with fashion and couture. Needless to say when I found out he was designing a show on BROADWAY I lost my mind, and I’ll never forget the sweet dressers that let me go backstage at @thechershow to just look and be in the presence of his artwork, passion, and talent. Last night I got to wear a piece of actual art, a vintage dress by Bob on the night he WON A TONY. All night I felt like a real life version of my childhood barbies- it was nothing short of a dream come true for me in every way. ✨”I love design with clean, sleek lines and subtle curves. Add just the right amount of glimmer and you’ve created an irresistible combination of sparkle and sophistication. What woman doesn’t want that!”-Bob Mackie
A post shared by LJ 🍑 (@itsljwright) on

This dress is actually by Bob Mackie, who won the Tony Award for best costume design of a musical for The Cher Show this year, and I love it! (I included two Instagram posts so you could see the front and back. The second picture in the post below shows the front well). It reminds me of a Latin ballroom dress, because it's so fun. There's some floral embroidery, sparkle, fringe, sheer fabric/mesh, and fringe. It's great when you can incorporate so many fabrics and techniques without looking tacky or like it's too much, and that's exactly what's going on here. The purples, pinks, and blues also look great on the black base.





No comments

Comments are moderated and must be approved before publication. Profanity, hate speech nor any offensive speech will be approved.

Words have power. Don't abuse them.